Crash Course in Vorwerk bantams

Where do i start.......

I have two vorwerk who i call double trouble they are very flighty birds who are gorgous looking. My two are crazy we have a meshed roof pen and they fly up and hang there by their beaks.
lol.png

My dad also has a vorwerk who roam free in his garden and he thought it wasnt laying and when his bean crops died back he found a little pyramid of 14 eggs hehehe fortunatly he has now sorted this and it is laying in the nest box.

they are lovely birds but can be a hand full but fun with it i will try and post some pic's of ours on

Hi, I am new here and lucky to find Vorwerk chicken here! Greetings from Northern Germany and thank you for your pictures (would like to post pictures, but not allowed at the moment). Werner

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, they are a bantam version of the Gold Lakenvelder. The standard Gold Lakenvelder is also referred to as Vorwerk, and so is the coloring pattern found in them. At least, that's my understanding...

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, they are a bantam version of the Gold Lakenvelder. The standard Gold Lakenvelder is also referred to as Vorwerk, and so is the coloring pattern found in them. At least, that's my understanding...

Yes, that's about it, though it can get quite confusing at times, especially since there are also (oh no!) Silver Vorwerks lurking about. They are the same breed, but I try not to start many confusing conversation by saying that! Some do believe that they are different breeds, as well. It's my understanding that the color Lakenvelder is applied to the Silver of each variety, and Vorwerk to the Gold.
roll.png

If you go to the web site for "The Coop", you can find a topic on the "Vorwerk" breed that is in the U.S. It is a bantam only breed that was developed by Wilmar Vorwerk. He used several breeds to develop his Vorwerk, one of which was the bantam Lakenvelder. The Vorwerk that exists in the U.S. is not a golden Lakenvelder, although many do believe that.

Quote:
This is correct, the vorwerks here in the US are not the same a the european vorwerks. It is very interesting reading how they were developed.

If you want some info, contact Opa, he breeds them and is a very wise old rooster.

No! Vorwerks and Lakenvelders are two different breeds!

Lakenvelders come in Large Fowl and Bantam in Silver (and a Golden color was developed and not admitted to the SOP).

lakenvelder.jpg

Vorwerks come only in Bantams here in the USA and are only Gold. Other countries have large fowl of them. One of the reasons why these two breeds are destroyed is because of the confusion between them and people breeding them together.

VorHenUK.JPEG

Back
Top Bottom