Crate Expectations II - Another Reclaimed Lumber Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Red-Stars-in-RI, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Red-Stars-in-RI

Red-Stars-in-RI Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Rhode Island
    I don't have to tell anyone here that chickens are addictive, and we recently decided "two flocks is better than one" and decided to build a second "reclaimed lumber" coop. It's almost exactly 3 years since we built our last coop, documented in Coop-struction: Reclaimed Lumber Coop (aka "crate expectations").

Like the previous coop, this one started with reclaimed lumber from window cases. The lumber and windows all came from a friend of the family who owns a custom window and door business (thus "crate expectations").

It starts with a base...I don't like bending to clean out the coop.

[​IMG]

After the last time we built a coop and then delivered it to my yard (realizing it weighed literally a ton), we build this one module and assembled in place.

Here's the frame:

[​IMG]

The side panels, roof, and other components are built to be slapped in place and nailed in:

[​IMG]

Can you believe I got those windows for free? They're small "samples", but they're nicer quality windows than I have in my house. Lucky chickens!

2. Red-Stars-in-RI

Mar 24, 2014
    Rhode Island
    The frame on the base, with floor boards about to go in:

[​IMG]

Wall panels, nesting box, and "chicken door" installed:

[​IMG]

Roof:

[​IMG]

3. Red-Stars-in-RI

Mar 24, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Adding the ramp:

[​IMG]

The other window:

[​IMG]

"People door":

[​IMG]

4. Red-Stars-in-RI

Mar 24, 2014
    Rhode Island
    The "nesting box":

[​IMG]

Roof shingled:

[​IMG]

5. Red-Stars-in-RI

Mar 24, 2014
    Rhode Island
    The girl's checking out their new digs:

[​IMG]

New coop in the background, old coop in the foreground. I split the run (where you can see the wooden posts) and put in a gate between the two for ease of moving back and forth.

[​IMG]

The second coop ended up quite a bit bigger than the old one, so I'm glad we build it modular.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by