CRAWDADS!!

bloonskiller911

Songster
10 Years
Jan 29, 2012
Brookville, Indiana
so since it seems like our community has a knowledge base for everything i need some help!!! i have crawdads digging around my spillway of my pond. in fact they had started the pond to drain. i have tamped their holes and tried to weed all the rocks and things out to deter them from being in the area. nothing works!!! the are draining my acre and half pond, its down a good 8 inches, my spillway pipe has even dropped!! any idea of how to get rid/kill/deter them. i have tried salting the area and even killed all of the grass. i even chlorinated the water to see if that would drive them a way to no avail!!! please help me!!

TAKE THEM!!! LOL
barnie.gif

Get a couple of the wire mesh minnow traps, the cylinder kind. Mash the ends down to make a bit of an oval shape from the round they come in. Open up the entrance holes to a 2"X1" oval shape. Bait them with liver or bloody beef bones, rancid hamburger or fish guts. Set them underwater overnight where crawdads are known to congregate.

Boil your crawdads in saltwater until they turn bright red, crack open the tails, remove meat with shrimp or crabfork and dip in cayenne garlic butter.

Won't eradicate them entirely, but once you aquire a taste for the little devils, you'll have no problem managing the population. There are also commercial crayfish traps but I've found the modified minnow traps just as effective and much easier to find locally.

I wish I had your "problem". For some reason I can't get them established in my swamp. Might be too shallow, prone to deep freezing in winter.

Last edited:
Get a couple of the wire mesh minnow traps, the cylinder kind. Mash the ends down to make a bit of an oval shape from the round they come in. Open up the entrance holes to a 2"X1" oval shape. Bait them with liver or bloody beef bones, rancid hamburger or fish guts. Set them underwater overnight where crawdads are known to congregate.

Boil your crawdads in saltwater until they turn bright red, crack open the tails, remove meat with shrimp or crabfork and dip in cayenne garlic butter.

Won't eradicate them entirely, but once you aquire a taste for the little devils, you'll have no problem managing the population. There are also commercial crayfish traps but I've found the modified minnow traps just as effective and much easier to find locally.

I wish I had your "problem". For some reason I can't get them established in my swamp. Might be too shallow, prone to deep freezing in winter.
good idea, thanks

I love crawdads, good eatin! I catch them with bacon with minnow traps. You can make your own traps out of hardware cloth. Happy trapping!

Back
Top Bottom