crazy bantum

banties11

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2015
Hello there im new to this site and also new at bringing up chickens! I have 6 bantum girls nesting at the moment, they have been on the nest nearly 3 weeks now. one of the girls has gone absolutely feral, she's getting so much and running around like a chook with no head, excuse the pun! Does this mean some of her eggs are nearly ready to hatch? They haven't yet. would love some positive feedback on how I can help this girl chill out a little. thanks in advance

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Are you saying that all 6 hens have been on a nest for 3 weeks straight? 24/7? I assume you have a rooster to fertilize the eggs? If so, you may want to candle the eggs and see if there is anything going on in them.

Not sure what all the running around is about. If a hen is truly broody and sitting on eggs waiting for them to hatch, they won't be running around, they would be constantly on the eggs 24/7 with maybe a 5 minute break each day to relieve themselves and grab a quick drink of water and bite to eat.

Is there anything else stressing her out?

Hello there im new to this site and also new at bringing up chickens! I have 6 bantum girls nesting at the moment, they have been on the nest nearly 3 weeks now. one of the girls has gone absolutely feral, she's getting so much and running around like a chook with no head, excuse the pun! Does this mean some of her eggs are nearly ready to hatch? They haven't yet. would love some positive feedback on how I can help this girl chill out a little. thanks in advance

My sitting hens go bonkers when they leave the nest for food etc. Not sure if its pent up energy or what, but it seems their body and brain are not quite in sync
smile.png
(same could be said for us all at some time or other i guess).

CT

If you force them to leave the nest to take care of business ( eating, drinking, pooping) then can act bonkers if they want to return to the eggs very badly. If you don't have a rooster their eggs will not be fertile - so they won't hatch any babies.

Yes. they have the meal break . 4 out of 6 girls sit there constantly so I take food and water to them but two girls go absolutely crazy. even too the rooster stays well clear lol. smart boy! :)

they are free to come and go and eat and drink when ever they want. Yes I have a rooster. the girls have at least 30 eggs I presume not all will be fertilized. not sure how I go about getting eggs without being pecked, any ideas?

Just be slow in your actions and talk in a calming manner will give you a slightly better chance of not being pecked. I only have 1 broody hen, and she never pecks me when if i have to lift her up so i am lucky.

Seems like its going to mayhem once all four hens hatch! I'm sure you have sorted out the logistics of keeping all 4 hens and their chicks separate though.

Good luck

CT

Back
Top Bottom