Crazy Chick Behavior

epeloquin

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Western Massachusetts
I have three Barred Rocks and three RIR. Two of the rocks really love to be with us, they love being held and wil often go to sleep on my or my wife's chest and stay for quite some time. Tonight I was sitting with one of them and she came up under my neck (I wear a close beard) and was going back and forth rubbing her head along my neck and sometimed behind my ear and making the most curious little 'peep, peep, peep' as she did. It was a very quiet almost low whistling-like peep and she would lie down for a while and do it again and again.

Is anyone familiar with this behavior? Is this something they might do with mama if they are being brooded by their mother?

By the way, she is just four weeks old.

It was the cutest, most precious behavior that I've seen but I have no idea what she was doing.

wee.gif

I bet you even heard her "trill." Almost like a purr, right? That's their happy sound.

I have a couple chicks (and they're bantams, so the following comments might not seem so odd) which do this on my shoulder, but they burrow/snuggle into my hair at my neck. I don't have a beard.... so they do the best with what they find. They are so adorable I am considering ....................... making these two House Chickens.

hide.gif

That is exactly it, it is like a peepy-purr.

It's funny you mention making one a house chicken. When I first started getting into all this (building the coop, ordering the chicks etc.) I saw people who had made their girls housepets and I thought they were crazy. That was until we started brooding our chicks. They are such a joy that we are really dreading the day when we put them out to their coop because we enjoy them in our home so much! Of course if our condo association ever found out they'd have a fit. Our coop is actually at my father's a couple blocks away.

Anway, thanks for the info. That makes sense!

Quote:
She wasn't really nibbling or anything like that. She was more rubbing her head on me, she did rub her beak on my mouth a few times. The 'trilling' sounds is accurate. It was a purring, peeping sound. Really cute, really cool

Quote:
You know, that is what I was wondering. That's why I am hoping to hear from people who have hens who hatch and brood their own young. I would love to know if she was treating me like her mom. I think I am man enough to be a mommy too...LOL!!

wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom