Crazy Chicken!!!! Help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sarahbuss, Jun 21, 2011.

1. sarahbuss

sarahbuss New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    I have 3 leghorns and one of my gals skreeches and screams all day (sometimes starting at 5:00 AM). I am a teacher so I am home a lot for the summer . I should be having a relaxing time, but my chicken is driving me crazy! I have tried a number of tactics to quiet her from locking the coop to hanging corn from a rope. I am at my wits end. Does anyone else have a course of action? Will the other two chickens be fine by themselves? Lastly, if I get rid of Ms.Noisy, will one of the others take her place screaming all day? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

2. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    How old are they? Are you sure that Ms. Noisy is not MR. Noisy?

3. Drk_Wlf

Drk_Wlf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    Roosters sound pretty horrible when they first start crowing (like somethings killing them) so yah maybe its not a hen.
    [​IMG]

4. sarahbuss

sarahbuss New Egg

Jun 21, 2011
    They are 1 year 3months old. I am getting have been getting 3 eggs a day for awhile. I had to lock her in the coop this am.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm sorry. i have had hens scream like that. One hen, Diana, a black silkie, decided to just stand and scream her head off when we were in the process of trying to sell our house. i had to sit in the pen and hold her beak closed when prospective buyers toured our house and yard. i'm sure they thought i was crazy. This went on for several weeks, and she eventually stopped. She still does it on occasion, but i don't care now.

Sometimes i have hens carry on because they want a particular nest box that someone else is laying in.

6. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    yea might be Mr. Roo instead, my white leghorn made crazzy noise before crowing .[​IMG]

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Leghorns are usually noisy birds. Maybe she sees something like a snake hanging around the coop?

8. AVizcaya

AVizcaya Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2009
    I have 4 leghorns in a flock of over 40 and the 4 of them make more noise than the others combined. I personally love their squawk but I am out in the country with a lot of land for them to roam on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by