Crazy chicken lady in the making :)

Thank you everyone!!! So I’ve been looking at all the coops on here. Wow, now I am really confused. Hahaha! Hubby thinks the Wichita style would be best…more run space. Our coop/run space in our yard is 9’ deep by 18’ long But 9’ takes us right to the back fencing so an open door back there for cleaning a raised coop wouldn’t be a great experience. Hahaha! We would of course have to make it 6’ or 7’ deep with a removeable door. I’m so torn. There are so many great designs out there!!! He thinks a raised coop is better for the extra run under it. But isn’t a 12’ run enough for 5-6 hens? Or is it better that they have 18’ of run space and a raised coop?

Right now I am trying to decide between a small raised coop or a walk-in hen house type coop.
Keep in mind that you need 1 linear foot of roost space per bird as a minimum. Given you live in the desert more would be better so they can spread out in the summer heat. They should have a minimum of 2 sq ft per bird on the "floor" of the coop. If they are ever confined to the coop other than when they are sleeping, that 2 sq ft is inadequate. However, if your entire build is 9'x18' AND you predator proof the run (which means 1/2" hardware cloth EVERYWHERE) you can leave the pop door open (or get a light controlled auto door) and they will always have the entire space available.

Pay attention to @DobieLover's comment on ventilation. It is essential especially with smaller coops.

I like walk in, easier to deal with when you don't have to lean in through a small door. And if you build full height you don't need to build a floor in the coop ;)

The most I can have is about 5 hens so I am hoping they won’t ruin my beautiful lawn???
Depends on how big the lawn is! And what sort of plantings do you have outside the lawn? They may do more damage there digging for bugs.

Back
Top Bottom