*solved* Crazy Chickens! Trying To Kill Any Creature Besides Human.

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
My chickens have been timid in their first year of life but this year, year 2, they have been acting strange. One time I saw my chickens dig up a mouse nest and kill and eat all of the babies, I was to late to stop them. One time they herded a squirrel into the mower and cornered it. They then tried to pull the squrriel out to kill it but I stopped them. Today they tried to attack this stray cat that I was trying to gain the trust of. The cat forgave me though after I put the chickens into the coop for the night. Also my chickens have gained a bit of weight. Also, every time my neighbor's pitbulls bark they growl them. This is not a fight that they could win. Hopefully they won't try.
What is wrong with them or are they ok? Is this how adult chickens act?

Chickens are omnivores. They also are descendants of dinosaurs. Theropods to be exact. Which included the T-Rex, and velociraptors.

They were defending themselves against the cat, which is a potential predator. They will probably lose against the neighbors dog, but you never know.

The growl from a chicken is a warning call.

Chickens are omnivores. They also are descendants of dinosaurs. Theropods to be exact. Which included the T-Rex, and velociraptors.

They were defending themselves against the cat, which is a potential predator. They will probably lose against the neighbors dog, but you never know.

The growl from a chicken is a warning call.
Ok, thank you and... Chickens like to eat squirrels!? :sick
Also, just saying, the cat never attacked them. I have seen it looking at the chickens for hours and pounce on mice immediately after spotting it. The cat is harmless. The chickens spotted it and immediately fluffed up and ran twords it.

When I snap trap mice I toss it to the chickens. They play keepaway for a while but eventually peck it so it can be swallowed, usually whole. I've seen them cut a frog up by pecking at it so they could eat it. If I find a mouse nest I toss any babies to them, those are just a quick snack. Mine eat small snakes. When I kill a larger animal (rat, rabbit, possum, or raccoon for example) I sometimes cut them open so they can get to the good stuff inside, but dispose of what's left before night so it doesn't attract predators. Some people say they collect fresh road kill as a good protein source for their chickens but I haven't done that.

Chickens are omnivores. They eat meat and veggies. Sometimes they hunt and sometimes they scavenge. Mine are pretty bad about hunting mice, the mice are usually too quick for them. But occasionally they get one.

Most chickens will not attack something the size of a squirrel or cat. But some will. I don't think they re hunting it to eat it, probably more just trying to scare it away. Usually, after a while, they recognize it as not a threat and ignore it. But sometimes they will try to catch a songbird or chipmunk to eat it. They can peck it to bits small enough to eat with their beaks.

I don't see anything unusual about your chickens' behaviors. They are just being chickens.

When I snap trap mice I toss it to the chickens. They play keepaway for a while but eventually peck it so it can be swallowed, usually whole. I've seen them cut a frog up by pecking at it so they could eat it. If I find a mouse nest I toss any babies to them, those are just a quick snack. Mine eat small snakes. When I kill a larger animal (rat, rabbit, possum, or raccoon for example) I sometimes cut them open so they can get to the good stuff inside, but dispose of what's left before night so it doesn't attract predators. Some people say they collect fresh road kill as a good protein source for their chickens but I haven't done that.

Chickens are omnivores. They eat meat and veggies. Sometimes they hunt and sometimes they scavenge. Mine are pretty bad about hunting mice, the mice are usually too quick for them. But occasionally they get one.

Most chickens will not attack something the size of a squirrel or cat. But some will. I don't think they re hunting it to eat it, probably more just trying to scare it away. Usually, after a while, they recognize it as not a threat and ignore it. But sometimes they will try to catch a songbird or chipmunk to eat it. They can peck it to bits small enough to eat with their beaks.

I don't see anything unusual about your chickens' behaviors. They are just being chickens.
My chickens eat frogs whole, still alive sometimes, like Kirby. :sick

Back
Top Bottom