1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crazy chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by getagrip, Jul 10, 2016.

1. getagrip

getagrip Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2015
    Greensboro NC
    Four nesting boxes between 6 laying hens and we still have to wait in line.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course they aren't even laying in the boxes anyway. They lay in the corner under the boxes. Love my crazy chickens.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I recently walked in on a muscovy duck hen in a nest box with a polished hen sitting on her and another polish hen waiting to get in. I often find multiple polish hens jammed in one box screeching like demons from hell, so I am familiar with what you are dealing with. They all want the same box no matter which on it is.

3. getagrip

Jul 30, 2015
    Greensboro NC
    I wish I could post a video. Shorty after I took that pic she started the egg song, like "she laid an egg, she laid an egg, my turn"
    Never a dull moment in chicken keeping. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. getagrip

Jul 30, 2015
    Greensboro NC

My so far they have been very polite and patient. I wouldn't know what to think if I walked in the coop with all that going on.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I do have lots of hens and my polish are some of my best and consistent layers but they are a bit nutty.

I have experienced the faking hen, and her fake egg laying song, and have looked for eggs that weren't laid. Your young girl are hilarious, they are so excited about egg laying when they are young, wait until they find out it just keeps happening.[​IMG]

6. getagrip

Jul 30, 2015
    Greensboro NC
    Oh boy more chicken craziness I can't wait. [​IMG]. I do have a bantam white crested black polish. We haven't had it long we rescued from a lady who had a chicken massacre(6 chicks left from a flock of 20, 1 Easter egger severely injured but survived)anyway I say it because I'm not sure, they were all supposed to be pullets but the red sex link is a rooster soooo, ya know how that goes. It has done some pretty goofy stuff already, should be interesting. It is the neighborhood and family favorite so I'll probably keep it regardless. Here a pic
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Awww, she's adorable, you will enjoy her odd polish behaviors, they are not the most intelligent of breeds but they are one of the more interesting ones.

Polish are pretty good at surviving dog attacks because they will play dead, my very first polish hen looked just like yours and my dog "killed" her 3 times before the dog learned to leave the chickens alone. Each time she scared the heck out of me when she came to life. Goofy polish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by