Crazy chickens

ColorCountry

In the Brooder
May 12, 2020
I have three 10 week old Easter Egger hens. I have their coop inside a 7 ft. X 13 ft. enclosed, predator proof run. This contraption is build up against a 5 foot south
facing cinder block wall to protect them from the winds we get here in Cedar City, Utah. I can't stand up fully when in the run to feed them and clean up the
poop and other messes. So when I crouch down to clean up, they fly up on my back. I try and get them off as I don't want to get pooped on, and their claws
are rather sharp. I wanted to know if this is normal behavior? Drives me nuts. If I sit down on one of the logs in the run I have put there for them to roost,
they jump in my lap, and roost on my stretched legs. Is this normal? I'm a first time chicken owner.

ColorCountry

In the Brooder
May 12, 2020
Normal.
Just keep knocking them off firmly while making unhappy sounds.
Guessing you've handled them a lot when younger and let them perch on you?
I have three 10 week old Easter Egger hens. I have their coop inside a 7 ft. X 13 ft. enclosed, predator proof run. This contraption is build up against a 5 foot south
facing cinder block wall to protect them from the winds we get here in Cedar City, Utah. I can't stand up fully when in the run to feed them and clean up the
poop and other messes. So when I crouch down to clean up, they fly up on my back. I try and get them off as I don't want to get pooped on, and their claws
are rather sharp. I wanted to know if this is normal behavior? Drives me nuts. If I sit down on one of the logs in the run I have put there for them to roost,
they jump in my lap, and roost on my stretched legs. Is this normal? I'm a first time chicken owner.

ColorCountry

In the Brooder
May 12, 2020
Actually, I didn't handle them much as chicks. Picked them up a couple of times. I did
interact with them a lot while they were in the brooder when I changed the soiled
bedding material, fed them, etc. I did talk to them a lot. I feed them and give them
treats, so I guess they like me. LOL.

Top Bottom