1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crazy for Chickens and Ducks!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by binabear, Aug 7, 2016.

1. binabear

binabear New Egg

Aug 7, 2016
    Hello Everyone,
    My name is Sabrina. I have owned chickens and ducks for the past 4 years. I absolutely love them. I have always wanted to own small farm animals but never had the guts to just go and buy them. But one day in July four years ago. I made a decision to just follow my dream of having chickens. My kids thought I was crazy when I came home with a little cardboard box and 8 pullets. I was told that only 50% would survive by the feed employee. So I made sure to double up. Well he was wrong and I had 100% survival. Since then I have come across a few health issues with some of my birds and lost a few. I have also rescued several others and have incorporated ducks into my flock as well. I currently have 9 chickens and 8 ducks. They are so beautiful, and so fun to watch and care for. They are a part of my family. My oldest son will sometimes accuse the chickens and ducks of getting more attention. Since most of my children are adults. He might be right! I have self-educated myself on chicken and duck care. Always doing research, asking others for information and reading online. I've visited Backyard Chickens in the past but never signed up. But here I am now. I am glad to be here.

2. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and welcome to BYC! Sounds like you have a cool flock. I've never heard of such a high mortality rate being normal, 50% is alot of chickens. Glad all of yours made it to adults :)

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Sabrina, and :welcome! Great to have you with us! Enjoy your chickens and ducks! :weee

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi Sabrina, [​IMG]

It sounds like you've done a great job caring for your chickens and ducks!

Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Sabrina and welcome to our community - glad that you have joined us. I hope that you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

Best wishes
    Ct

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Sabrina. Hope you will enjoy BYC as much as we do.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. cukuriku

cukuriku Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2016
    Welcome [​IMG], much success with your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by