Crazy hatching attempt

Looks like normal drop down? They all will start to look that way closer to hatch as the baby gets into position to hatch
Great! So the other eggs will develop it soon too?

Also... please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a 'drop down'? A quick google search didn't reveal much to me.

Looks great! I can't wait to see the baby chicks soon!
Thanks, I'll definitely take some photos!
Looks good, I have my eggs in same incubator, I am going by thermometers I have placed inside the incubator (regular ones with the red bulb) on top of the eggs and not the digital reading. I am on day 3.
Glad someone has the same incubator! Yeah, I put some of my own thermometers in there as well. The incubator also has an alarm that goes off every time the temperature differs from set by 1 degree, and I have this incubator in my room. It wrecks my sleep, but I daren't move it out because currently my room is the most stable temperature wise, and also I don't want to disturb my parents sleeping in the other room. Not much I can do about it except turn the heater slightly toward it when it's too low, or open the lid when it's too high. Kind of worried about what that'll do for the eggs though.

It also has this weird error where it'll suddenly falsely read the temperature to be some low number, like 20 degrees Celsius and start beeping. I think the only way to fix that is to unplug it and plug it back in.

So yeah, I'll definitely be glad when these chicks hatch!

Also... please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a 'drop down'? A quick google search didn't reveal much to me.
It's the last of the air cell growth....I don't candle so late but chicks often pip outside the air cell lines I've traced...always freaked me out until I learned about drop down.

Maybe wrap and insulate it better to stabilize it. I wouldn't manually open and close as that would create bigger swings from over to under.

Towel wrapping has helped before.

Great! So the other eggs will develop it soon too?

Thanks, I'll definitely take some photos!

Glad someone has the same incubator! Yeah, I put some of my own thermometers in there as well. The incubator also has an alarm that goes off every time the temperature differs from set by 1 degree, and I have this incubator in my room. It wrecks my sleep, but I daren't move it out because currently my room is the most stable temperature wise, and also I don't want to disturb my parents sleeping in the other room. Not much I can do about it except turn the heater slightly toward it when it's too low, or open the lid when it's too high. Kind of worried about what that'll do for the eggs though.

It also has this weird error where it'll suddenly falsely read the temperature to be some low number, like 20 degrees Celsius and start beeping. I think the only way to fix that is to unplug it and plug it back in.

So yeah, I'll definitely be glad when these chicks hatch!

My alarm only goes off when it is low humidity, you can adjust it in the beginning, I cannot remember if I set it for temp, but I made sure the alarm only goes off for really low humidity, I wish I could set it up so it would not beep at all. I always check humidity before going to bed, that way it will not go off at night.

One of my friends gave me a dozen BCM eggs last Thursday, and since she has a rooster and I've wanted BCM's for a while, I decided to hatch them! But there are some problems with that:
1. She said that they're around a week old
2. They've been referigerated
And, perhaps the most important, 3. I don't have an incubator!

So me and my dad were up late Thursday to throw together a makeshift incubator with a 57 watt bulb and dimmer switch, insulated box... etc. We managed to keep the temperature between 99 and 102 degrees (for the most part, amazingly). I put one of my fresh EE eggs in there also as a control.

My friend offered me her incubator (an older model HHD, from China) the next day, so I accepted the offer and put the eggs in there. The temperature seems to be about a degree Celsius off, because even though it is set to 38.5, my other meter reads 37.5... and so on. Humidity is currently 45% temperature currently reads 99.6, though that fluctuates between 99 and 100.5.

I'll be so happy if I even get one chick out of this whole thing, and it's my first time incubating too! I am so wishing for a broody hen right now...
I've read your post, and after all those things those eggs had been through. I really believe that it's not gonna hatch (even if you have an incubator.)

I've read your post, and after all those things those eggs had been through. I really believe that it's not gonna hatch (even if you have an incubator.)
Well, even if they don't, it was worth a shot. I thought they wouldn't hatch either, but 7 are developing! (half my friend's, one my own). But you know, if I get 1 chick out of this, I'll be happy. And if I get none, it was still an experience.

If they hatch I'll tag you with some pictures :)

Back
Top Bottom