Crazy Hen...Emily is broody (Well, not anymore.. Quit on Day 16)

Amy, this is the Firetower:

348_dcp_7795.jpg

I did try to candle, but it's too light to be sure of what I'm seeing. Will have to do it after dark. I know they all were/are developing, but didn't see any movement in any of them, so can't say how many are actually still viable. If none develop, even the feed store that usually has chicks most of the year probably won't have any for me to give her since they rarely get shipments in Nov/Dec. I hope she has at least two to hatch. Though my numbers need to go down, I realized that I have only 13 hens under 3 years old now out of 29 hens total.

I did candle again with the big maglite, since the sun had moved over and wasn't shining in the Firetower windows. There was one that wasn't developed as it should be, if at all, and we removed it. The other four all have huge dark areas, but I saw movement only in one of them for certain. We shall see. I'd really like her to get at least two chicks (preferably pullets, of course!).

Cyn, that's a darling little coop! How did you come by calling it the "Fire Tower"? How many broody girls will that house at a time? It looks from here like you have great access to all sides of the coop. That sure would make it nice for cleaning and for accessing nests and eggs for examination.
thumbsup.gif
I like the design!

There is movement???!!
ep.gif
Wow! She must be doing a much better job than we had thought, eh?
ya.gif
I'll keep my fingers crossed and prayers said for nothing but pullets!!! Are these her eggs alone, or are they a collection from the flock? Who's the daddy?

Hope you see more definitive movement in a few days Cyn. It's always so exciting to have one actually move in your hand!
ya.gif
I'll never forget the first time one of my first hatch slammed a little foot against the shell wall when I was candling!
lol.png
Startled me so bad, I darn near dropped the poor little goober!
gig.gif

Saturday is Day 10 for Emily.
smile.png

Amy, we call it the Firetower because it looks very much like the forest service firetowers we've seen. It was originally the Ameraucana coop, then it's been used for broodies with their babies, youngsters growing out, or any other birds who need to be separated for some reason. It has two nests, two roost bars, double access doors, a "glass block" window and a window in the back that opens made from etched plexi that my DH made in college art class. Here are some other pics of it.

DCP_7683.jpg

DCP_7685.jpg

DCP_7689.jpg

DCP_7698.jpg

Cynthia, that whole coop is just darling! What a clever design. So easy to keep clean and have access to all parts of it without much difficulty. And now that you mention it, it does look a bit like some of the fire look out towers in your area.
wink.png

Ours are just a little different up here in that they're square, with all four walls being mostly great big sash style windows. I'd give my eye teeth to be able to tear one down in sequential order and reconstruct it on our place. They're just awesome. But heck, then I'd want a big panoramic view to look out on for it!
roll.png
I can't win!
lol.png

Thanks for sharing the pictures with me. Oh! And that window! Wow! Way cool!! I had no idea Tom has such an artistic streak to him!
thumbsup.gif

It's not hard to take care of, but you do have to sort of sit on the edge, duck your head under and scooch in. It has come in very handy over the last couple of years, though we were considering selling it and building one we could walk into due to DH's back issues. It is about 6 feet across at the widest points and we figured about 27 square feet in floor space. It was originally just single walled, but later we added interior walls and some insulation for extra warmth. Emily has one of those red "no-light" night time reptile heat bulbs hanging on one of the roof rafters--good thing, too, as much as she's "lost" an egg.

Sunday is Day 11 for Emily's remaining 4 eggs. I will re-candle probably Tuesday to see if they are progressing.

Quote:
What do they look like? Where do I get one? And how much do they cost? That sounds exactly what I need for the little coop for this winter! It too is insulated, but when we're talking minus 25, as we usually get for about 2 weeks at a time every winter, there has to be another source of heat. I don't want to put either a red or a white brooder light in there as that would probably keep them up all night and roast them in the process.

When they say "no light" do they really mean NO light emanates from it? Or is it pretty much the same as a red brooder heat lamp? For the big main coop, I really need a heat source that doesn't produce ANY light! I've been trying to get the girls accustomed to the red brooder light all night, but it's no good. Silly wenches are still squabbling over roost places way past 10:00 pm!
4.gif
The little spoiled turds!
lol.png
So, if you know of any kind of "No Light" emitting heat bulb, please! let me know! I could really use something like that!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom