Crazy idea? Anyone ever try this?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by urbanagrarian, Feb 25, 2008.

1. urbanagrarian

urbanagrarian Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Massachusetts
    As I was setting eggs today in my hovabator Genesis 1588, I had a crazy idea and wondered if it had ever been tried.

I wondered if it were possible to build an insert so that it would be possible to stack a 2nd layer of eggs either with or without a 2nd turner. If I hadn't already set the eggs, I could have figured out better if a 2nd turner would have fit.

I have a separate hatcher. So hatching would be in a different incubator.

I'm guessing I'm not the first with this crazy idea. Comments, Opinions?

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I havent tried it. Is your incubator tall enough to stack two layers without the top layer being too close to the heating element?

3. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

since "heat rises" ---

I would think that the temperature at the level of the second layer of eggs, would be ?significantly? warmer than at the lower layer ---

at the very least you would have to have temp sensors at both levels and watch them like a hawk ...

or have a really efficient heat-distributing fan ...

but just my opinion

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I don't think there is enough room for the air to properly flow around the eggs to stack them 2 high.

With that said, there was at one time an insert piece for the hovabators for use with emu and ostrich eggs. Some places have them. I have seen them. it gives about a 4 inch lift to the bator top.

If you got one or two of those and then figured out how to stack the turners you might have something there.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I was just going to post about the larger egg extension, but MissPrissy beat me to it!

6. urbanagrarian

urbanagrarian Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Quote:It kind of looks tall enough, but I got this idea just AFTER setting eggs so I didn't want to start fiddling around then. I might have to try something when my incubator is finally empty.

Like another poster who said, I think the strength of the fan may be an issue. I guess I need to wait until my hatching is complete and load up my incubator with 2 layers of golf balls and monitor the temperature at both levels. Unless someone else can figure out an easier experiment that doesn't potentially kill 80 eggs.

7. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I have a genesis also, and not sure. Its a circulating air incubator, but doubt you'd get to turners in there, but perhaps a shelf. Not sure if it would be to hot towards the top or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by