Crazy idea but - bubble wrap on coop floor (covered with bedding)

KarynVA

Crowing
May 29, 2020
SW Virginia
This is probably a crazy idea but I wonder if it would work/ be safe/ be okay for chickens to use a sheet of small-bubble bubble wrap ( see image below) underneath the bedding (several inches of wood shavings, pine needles, etc.) on the coop floor? We have a painted plywood floor in our coop and I am trying to think of a way to easily slide out the bedding litter for cleaning. I've seen the suggestions for linoleium/ vinyl flooring, and we may go that route. But bubble wrap would be so much cheaper and could simply be fitted neatly onto the dimensions of the floor and then just slide it out with all the bedding and poop into a wheelbarrow.

Then the wrap could be hosed down and possibly reused a time or two before using a fresh sheet of bubble wrap.

f87679a9-9fd1-4204-b76d-8d9f820ca8f8_1.7059b9bc0ec828adad4a0d7bdbaf9385.jpeg

What if you just use a tarp or something? I agree, the bubble part of the wrap looks like it will get eaten.

I don't know your location or what type of stores you have nearby.. I got remnant sheet linoleum at a local discount store for $30. I cut it to fit the floor and go up the walls good 6 inches. Cost efficient and easy to clean.

I don't know your location or what type of stores you have nearby.. I got remnant sheet linoleum at a local discount store for $30. I cut it to fit the floor and go up the walls good 6 inches. Cost efficient and easy to clean.
This is actually our intended plan. I just had the wild idea about bubble wrap and thought I'd run it by you knowledgeable folks in this forum.

Do you have any photos of the lenoleum as it looks installed? I'm trying to figure out how to attach it to the floor and walls without gaps or curling at the edges. (I live in suburban Virginia, we have Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. nearby. Tractor Supply, Walmart, all that.)

I used to on my old phone, but I literally just got a new one and was unable to sync my old content.

I used (my father helped) some sort of glue that's applied with a caulk gun and staples.

They will tear up bubble wrap fast, with their feet and beaks.
How big is your coop?
Do you have poop boards?
I do and only change out floor shavings once or twice a year.

I'm trying to figure out how to attach it to the floor and walls without gaps or curling at the edges.
I would not use glue, but 1x trim stock at edges.
Mine is just setting in there, and tacked where it goes up the walls, angle metal at door thresholds....but it's a very heavy duty foam back vinyl, bend without breaking.
good to go for 7 years now. I do wish I had done trim on the short edges, tho it's not that big of a deal.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/
1595888300992.png

Back
Top Bottom