Crazy Idea for a Calmer Death

Giving them the herb isn't going to keep them from panicking. It is quite possible to panic while sedated, I have seen plenty of animals do so even with heavy sedation drugs used by veterinarians. The other birds will be awakened by the motion and noise of the first bird being killed, if they see and smell blood or another bird acting distressed, they are not just going to go back to sleep. (Despite the laziness and apathy of most meaties!) It is best if the birds being killed are not killed in front of the other birds that are still alive. Confine them to a small pen/coop/crate/box calmly before the event so you don't have to chase them to catch them. If they're in a large area, move them to a smaller one the night before, catch them while they're sleeping because it's easy. As you butcher them, take them one at a time, calmly, without making a big fuss, and kill them away from the others. I don't know that a mild sedative/muscle relaxant would cause a dying animal not to flap or struggle. Animals which are euthanized by an overdose of anaesthetic often flail around pretty disturbingly, even after they are unconscious, and they have muscle twitches after death. This is commonplace enough that veterinarians will warn owners who want to be present while their animal is euthanized that it might look like the animal is suffering because it can thrash and make strange noises, but the animal is already unconscious by that point.

Blues, I won't have meaties (or any chickens) for another year to 4 years myself. So no trials anytime soon on my end.
wink.png
All theoretical at this point. I'd want to talk to some avian vets and any scientists specializing in herbs/medicinal plants before actually trying anything similar myself.

Ariel aye, it sounds like separate rooms/areas is best, no matter the method.

Last edited:
I agree with other posters about processing away from live birds. I think just being kind and calming with each bird is the right way to go.

If you handle the birds a few times while they're growing, they get used to it and don't stress at being picked up. Same with changing cages. When they've been moved a few times in the past they don't mind the last move to a smaller cage.

Sit with the birds sometimes, get them used to you being around. Hand feed them occasionally. These things keep birds calm.

It seems to me the idea of drugging them en masse is a little... industrial.

I actually think this idea would work. 1 because I have used and know the power of kava kava, plus I had a meat hen attacked by something in her sleep, most likely a raccon. We found her in the same spot she was in for sleeping feet tucked under whole nine yards just missing a head. That was without the kava kava. The other chickens never even moved I think you have a great idea and might be using it in the future.

Sharp knife + accurate cut = good night sweet prince.

I wouldn't overthink this thing. It requires no more strength or skill than cutting an orange in half. Done right, the chicken is unconscious in seconds and dead a short time later.

I wonder if a muscle relaxant would allow the muscular spasms that occur during/just after decapitation. Even on a cellular level, would the muscle cells contract to, in effect, "squeeze", the blood from the capillaries and smaller vessels that gravity doesn't really affect? With the use of the relaxant, would the amount of blood drained from the bird be less because the muscles aren't allowed to contract.

Last edited:
Drink the kool-aid Erica, drink it up.
wink.png

Huh, interesting about the hen going out quickly in her sleep without signs of spasms, growinup. I know that is how I'd want to go...though preferably without the detachment of my head!

Stone, I'm curious about the bleeding out method. I've heard mixed reviews, and need to read up on it more.

Nurse, wondering that too. Might have less of the disturbing flapping, but you bring up a good point about less blood maybe draining.

29: you know it! ...Wait, what? No chicken in a straight jacket emoticon? I'll be waiting for it BYC.

Last edited:
It is an interesting idea.

Until you research this further for us, P-doodle, I think the best way for a calm death is a calm person and the sharpest possible knife with a smooth, tapered point. I've read tales of box cutters on here and knives that aren't sharp enough or knives with an angled-off tip - and that's one of the biggest problems.

Back
Top Bottom