Crazy, jealous bantam

welovechickens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Round Rock
Is there any way I can get my bantam to stop attacking one of my other chickens? Cookie (Ameraucana) stood up to Baby (bantam) ONCE...and now Baby goes completely berserk, attacking Cookie if I let them out at the same time. Baby is just coming off of being broody; do you think that might have anything to do with it?

Baby is separated from the others by wire, so thankfully she can't abuse them unless we let her out with them. She's very submissive when I have my hands on her, but if I let go for two seconds, she goes after Cookie full force.

Any advice, or will I just need to always keep them separated?

Maybe let it work out.I have Bantam who is broody all the time,and a young pullet who challenge her every time she comes out the nest box.the pullet loses and the bantam bullies hers. Every time the bantam sees her,she gets in a fighting crouch if they have space to get away,just let it work it out.

Broodies do get grouchy,that could be another reason,and a hen trying to take her position just made her go off the edge.

I tried letting them work it out, but Cookie bopped Baby on her comb and Baby ended up with blood all over her head and face. I'd rather they didn't draw blood on each other. Maybe Baby will be in a better mood after a few days.

So funny you should have this problem, My broody Bantam goes after my Great Dane. When I take her off the nest to eat and drink she gets so mad she will fly up and peck my Dane on the nose. The Dane always looks so hurt afterwards.

A broody coming off the nest......has to work her way back into the pecking order.
Did you have the broody separated but within sight of the flock?
Does she now have chicks?

Back
Top Bottom