Crazy looking egg

sasmith2770

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2021
Was wondering if anyone could tell me why one of my girls would lay an egg like this? This is the first time I have seen anything like this.
20240319_173905.jpg

Was wondering if anyone could tell me why one of my girls would lay an egg like this? This is the first time I have seen anything like this.View attachment 3776432
It's a hiccup that can happen. Are they newer layers?

The following link doesn't have one that looks exactly like that but still a good read with a cool video..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

ETA: something to the effect of an inner membrane not disconnecting at the exact right time or extra membrane laid.. obscuring the shape.. and getting calcium coated.. in other words possibly just a misshapen egg.

Was wondering if anyone could tell me why one of my girls would lay an egg like this? This is the first time I have seen anything like this.View attachment 3776432
Never seen that before either.
Have you tried to pry that blob off?
Maybe just break the egg open and see what the blob part looks like from the inside.

something to the effect of an inner membrane not disconnecting at the exact right time or extra membrane laid.. obscuring the shape.. and getting calcium coated.. in other words possibly just a misshapen egg.
A viable guess, extra 'tail' of membrane then shelled.

Never seen that before either.
Have you tried to pry that blob off?
Maybe just break the egg open and see what the blob part looks like from the inside.

A viable guess, extra 'tail' of membrane then shelled.
@aart
No, I have not tried to pry it off yet. There is a slight crack where it starts to curve over at the top so thinking it will just snap right off. Am going to "dissect" it in the morning and will post what I find.

The following link doesn't have one that looks exactly like that but still a good read with a cool video..

ETA: something to the effect of an inner membrane not disconnecting at the exact right time or extra membrane laid.. obscuring the shape.. and getting calcium coated.. in other words possibly just a misshapen egg.

I did check the link out earlier hoping to see something similar.
The are not new layers - all my girls are 3.

I did check the link out earlier hoping to see something similar.
The are not new layers - all my girls are 3.
Well.. I see hiccups in all age birds in reality.. and getting older makes things JUST as (*if not more*) likely to hiccup or decline.. "older" being a relative term. 3 is still young for some and not for others.

Returning to lay birds from molt.. are "new" layers to some degree (in my opinion).. the system still may have to work out it's kinks again as function returns. I'm not sure if returning to lay from broodiness also applies to this thought but I think it does.. since I've experienced egg binding (resulting in death) caused by a multi yolk extra large egg for a broody I had recently "broke" from sitting. Sudden lighting changes, and many things can cause these sort of hiccups.. aside from just "new layer" age.

The daylight increasing.. also has my egg production ramped way up already and we've barely hit 12 hours this week.

I cannot say what you should do. I personally would still be watching, as always.. but would not actively be "worried" about THIS incident. It does not appear to be something diet related or caused by you, best I can tell. Is there anything specific you feel the need to discuss?

I've never seen anything like that before either. I'd like to know what is in that extra section and how thick the shell is on it compared to the rest of the egg.

My theory is that something inside the hen's body cavity shed and made it's way down the hen's internal egg making factory. When it got to the shell gland it stuck to an egg that was already there and building it's shell. But that's only a theory.

Back
Top Bottom