Crazy Picture!!!!!!!!!

awww.. she looks like my ruby!
smile.png
my gal has that as well... i've seen it before and i've grown used to it.. some have that some don't....i just keep telling ruby she looks cute and i'm sure any rooster would get with her because of her cuteness... :aww

Poor girls....
Remember, my peeps, that this is one of those things developed by factory farm workers to make life easier on themselves, not the birds.
I believe that the best thing we can do is lead by example at every opportunity, rather than try to flog the unfloggable...
barnie.gif

Now, back to the subject...do they grow back? It depends. A burned off (cauterized) beak will not grow back. A bird who's been debeaked but not sealed (cauterized) can grow back.
Also, a bird can be debeaked accidentally rather than done with a more odious intention...
How do I know this?
This is my darling Benzie...my favorite of all my roos, and the only pure spitzhauben roo I have left. He caught his beak in the wire while trying valiantly to flog my dog on the other side...
benzie.jpg

Don't cry for Benzie...this imp of the perverse got super-shake suppliments twice a day in the comfort of my lap while watching a DVD. He started following me around the pen with this "is it dinner time?" look on his face till he adjusted to eating differently, and now is showing signs of the beak growing back...

They chickens are doing good they have been intergrated in with my 18 week old chickens and they was so sqwaking and peeking by my birds and of course the new girls hid under the laying boxes and in corners b/c they are defensless .......which makes me mad............but they are laying eggs and seem to appreciate their new digs and the treats.........we have gotten 1 to 2 eggs a day since they have been here........so all is good...........thanks for the support!!!!!!!!!!!

fl.gif

We've got a Cuckoo Maran roo called No-Face who survived a fox attack but lost his beak. He lost his beak over a year ago and it's showing no signs of growing back. He crows, eats, does everything just fine, except he can't mate because he has no way of holding onto the hen. Despite the forced celibacy, he seems to be living a happy life in spite of it. I like the war veteran analogy--very fitting for No-Face!

NoFace3.jpg

NoFace1.jpg

I am passionately against hatcheries and chicken farms mutilating birds strictly for the convenience of their keepers. If you house and feed your birds right, they don't pick at each other. This started as a way to enable factory farms to overcrowd their chickens and keep them in abominable conditions without the birds being able to peck their handlers, and keeping profits high by making sure the birds can't react to their stressful conditions. It's mutilation and it makes me sick and furious.

I'm glad your new girls are doing well, Chickenmomva! They deserve the spoiling you're giving them. Good for you!

We had 3 Auracanas with just beak tips. (Factory farm rescued or was it a jail break
wink.png
!?) They did just fine without beaks. They ate a little funny, their long tounges were used instead of their beaks for picking up food. I think I secretly loved them more because of their abuse! (SSSHHH... don't tell my other hens, they may stop laying)!
Amy J.

No-Face is the same way--long white tongue flicks out and grabs his pellets! It's really funny to watch. I feel sorry for him sometimes because he can't handle the treats the others get--wilted lettuce and such--but he's doing well otherwise.
big_smile.png
Heartwarming to see all these disfigured chickens getting second chances!

I agree that it is horrible. Last night my duaghter and I were going through her 4-H manual. And they were talking about grooming and kind of skimmed over debeaking a bit in how to groom chickens. I am sorry to be so blunt but you have got to be@#%^*&$ kidding me. There is no way I would ever do this or allow this to happen to any of my birds. And do you anyof you know at what age this happend to her. Poor thing....it is a good thig you have her now.

There is no way I would ever do this or allow this to happen to any of my birds.

I completely agree with you. Some on these boards know how long I looked for true araucana chicks, literally 2 months of searching and waiting another month for my turn for a hatch and 3 weeks while they incubated... but before I found the small breeder I got my babies from, I did find one hatchery that bred real Araucanas. I refused to order from them because they offered debeaking and would clip off the ends of the wings if requested. That's HORRIBLE. Poor baby chicks being mutilated! No way in HECK would I send those people any money or business, ever.​

Back
Top Bottom