Crazy Psyco Rooster!!!

CinnamonQueen12

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
I previously posted a thread about my roster attacking me becuase i wore a different pair of shoes into the coop. Needless to say i now always wear the same pair of shoes into the pen every day.

Today, my dad was attacked by the rooster, so when i went in to take over the cleaning, the rooster put his head down, started pecking aimlessly at the ground and began walking sideways towards me, making a strange sound the whole way. He did that to me once before, so i stuck my foot out in front of me, and just like the previous time, he attacked my foot. Instead of running off like last time, he ran about 5 feet away, and resumed his sideways walk, staring at me the whole time with his little eye. He never came after me directly, only when i stuck my foot out in front of me, but i was afraid to turn m back on him or kneel down and pet my girls. When i left the pen, i put my fingers through the wire of the side of the pen to pet a chicken, and the rooster ran at the pen. I pulled my finger out and watched as he pecked at the wire, trying to bite me!!!

My question is: how do i deal with this? Some people say to pick him up and carry him around, but the last time i went to grab him when he sideways-walked up to me, he lunged for my face!!! I dont want to kick him, becuause my brothers do that and he just gets more aggressive every time. Some people say to spray him with a water gun. How well does this work? Others say to chase him across the yard, but when i did that, he turned on me and got my shin. There are a lot of posts that talk about dealing with your rooster, but how do you deal with this when you cant even pick him up?????

Kicking only antagonizes and inspires more attacks. Get a short handled fish net and scoop him up in that and just carry him around in the net. If his attitude doesn't improve, cut your losses and get rid of him before someone gets hurt. Human aggressive roosters are no fun and rarely totally rehabilitated.

We are really hesitant to get rid of this roo because he is sooooo good to all of our girls!!! They eat first, they eat only the best, they feel safe around him, he made it possible for me to hatch the 11 healthy babies yesterday!!!!!!! Also, according to my brothers, he defended them from a hawk!!! He was so sweet as a chick, and we want to try to keep him, but we like to go away for a few days once or twice a summer, and now we are afraid of him attacking the people who help us take care of the chickens while we are away. Does the spray bottle work, like with a cat?

The spray bottle may work until you turn your back. Total subordination is the only thing that works in my experience, and even then you can never let your guard down. Understand that there is a strong genetic component to human aggression - any sons of his may be as bad or worse than him.

No, the spray bottle does not work. As soon as you are not carrying the spray bottle the rooster will attack. He's a mean rooster and will only get worse with time. Yes, he's good to the girls but being good to the humans is even more important. Cull him.

Back
Top Bottom