Crazy question...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Flyboy718, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    I know nothing about ducks...I have some chickens but thought about getting a couple ducks...ok here is the dumb question: Do they have to have some sort of standing water to hang around in or can they go completely without water except for drinking of course?

2. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Duck do not need water for swimming however they do like it. So if you would like ducks you can just give drinking water and they will be fine.

3. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Another point that should be made is that ducks need water to mate in successfully.

4. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Water for drinking MUST be deep enough to completely submerge their head, thats necessary for their health as thats how they clean their nasal passages after eating. They must also be able to dunk during eating to assist in swallowing feed.

Because of this, their water has to be changed often... a clean bucket of fresh water with 2 ducks last about...12-15 seconds. Mine get fresh 2-3 times per day. As soon as they see clean water they go to dunking....even after a swim.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Smaller breeds seem to do okay without water for mating, from what I understand. And it also seems to me there are always ducks who don't read the books, and like things they're not supposed to, and vice versa.

I use concrete mixing pans and a kiddle pool for my runners - about 8" deep. If there's an extended freeze, I make sure they can at least have a deep pot full of water to wash their precious heads.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Ducks like to swim, but do not have to have swimming water. Most breeds are fully capable of breeding without water. Understand that ducks make a mess of their drinking water - one reason they may not fit in well with your chickens; also, sometimes a drake will start breeding the chickens - this presents a potential for injury and possible death.

7. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    If you want your ducks to be happy they must have swimming water. The more water the happier the ducks. Ducks that cannot swim are sad ducks. I know, I have been raising ducks for 14 years. How would you like to live in a small room (think closet) with no TV or computer? All pets need entertainment to be happy. [​IMG]

8. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    They do not HAVE to have swimming water, but if you are going to get ducks, it is my firm belief that you should provide what will be best for them. And I really don't think it is fair not to have some sort of swimming or bathing water for them. At the very least a small kiddie pool or basin of water large enough for them to get in and out of easily that they can splash around in. It is important that they keep their feathers clean to maintain their waterproofing. And I also think that a separate smaller container that they cannot get into is also necessary to insure they have clean face washing drinking water all the time.
    They are messy, yes, but if you make the decision to get ducks, I think it is imperative that you provide for them properly.
    I think this is also true with any animal that you decide to take on. I realize I go over the top sometimes, but there are things that every creature needs as basics, and in my opinion, for ducks, those things are water for bathing and drinking, the proper food, good shelter and PEAS [​IMG].
    Hope this helps!!!!

9. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Quote:It seems to me that it's not a matter of fertility, but balance. And breeds like Aylesbury and Show Rouens need mating water. They can hardly walk, let along mate on land!

10. Duckandgoatlady

Duckandgoatlady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2012
    Lake Butler
    Kiddy pools or plastic barrels cut in half make good portable ponds and are easy to dump and clean out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by