Crazy Rooster

Floofer

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2021
I have this rooster, and he's pretty crazy. He's always trying to fight me and my family, has attacked us more than once, and is just uncontrollable, so I have to keep him in a cage. Even though he is crazy, I want to keep him. He is an Easter Egger, which is a cool mixed breed that lays colored eggs. I only have one Easter Egger hen, and she lays beautiful green eggs. I want to keep my rooster so that I can breed more Easter Eggers. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions that will keep my rooster from attacking me and my family?

I have this rooster, and he's pretty crazy. He's always trying to fight me and my family, has attacked us more than once, and is just uncontrollable, so I have to keep him in a cage. Even though he is crazy, I want to keep him. He is an Easter Egger, which is a cool mixed breed that lays colored eggs. I only have one Easter Egger hen, and she lays beautiful green eggs. I want to keep my rooster so that I can breed more Easter Eggers. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions that will keep my rooster from attacking me and my family?
Is he in the cage all the time? That isn't going to be good for his well being.

If you use the search function in the upper right corner, you can search "aggressive rooster" or something to that effect, and it will show you A LOT of threads where this has been talked about. The majority of people will say it's not worth it as there are other nice roosters out there that you could obtain so why put up with a bad one, and a few people swear by picking up their rooster or holding it down, etc will stop the aggression. Only you can decide, since it's your rooster. Good luck

The only way I'd even consider breeding him is if a hen could raise the babies. Hen raised roos seem to be more agreeable in my experience. If you're going to hatch and raise them yourself, you're just in for more mean roosters. I've been in your shoes and made the choice to breed the roo. It was a massive headache. The day I collected my last egg for hatching was the day I shipped him off to the neighbor. Now he has his own harem, out of sight of my other rooster and myself, and he is king of the castle. No more aggression. It will be a huge headache to keep him around.

I am with the cull this bird crowd. Roosters are plentiful and cheap. Most will be given away. Other people near you, have easter egg roosters. One of my very best roosters was an EE rooster, I called Captain. He was a perfect gentleman - threw blue green egg laying pullets.

A nice one is easy to come by, and really it is not much fun being attacked. Roosters like this have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people.

Mrs K

Is he in the cage all the time? That isn't going to be good for his well being.

If you use the search function in the upper right corner, you can search "aggressive rooster" or something to that effect, and it will show you A LOT of threads where this has been talked about. The majority of people will say it's not worth it as there are other nice roosters out there that you could obtain so why put up with a bad one, and a few people swear by picking up their rooster or holding it down, etc will stop the aggression. Only you can decide, since it's your rooster. Good luck
I know it's not great for his health, so I take him out a lot, but during most of the day, he's in a cage. When he is out, I have him on a chicken leash that goes on his leg. It's not great, but that's the only solution I can think of right now that can keep him healthy and keep me from getting attacked a bunch..... I have tried holding him, picking him up, e.t.c, and it seems to just make him angrier so I've just stopped and let him be. Thanks though!

I wouldn’t breed him. He could potentially have sons that are as aggressive as he is, and his daughters would have the potential to create aggressive sons themselves. You can breed the Easter egger hen to a different rooster for a 50-100% chance at green/blue eggs.
I did not know this, but this is super helpful. Thanks

What kind of a quality of life does this poor bird have? Not much if you ask me. The thing about EEs is, they’re a mix of different breeds that can lay blue, green, brown or other colored eggs. There is no guarantee that chicks out of him would lay blue eggs.

Find a nice farm and resettle him

Back
Top Bottom