Crazy Tail Feathers

G-Fairy

Hatching
May 22, 2021
Hi Everyone, we're brand new to raising chickens (this is our first time ever having chickens) and it is a lot of fun.

We got 2 Columbian Rocks and 2 Barred Plymouth rocks to start as we were told they are great breeds for starting out, also where we are, they were the only breeds we could get sexed.

The Columbians are 9 weeks and the Barred are 8 weeks right now. One of the Columbians has these large straight up tail feathers that none of the other chickens are seeming to develop. Is this normal, will the other chickens develop something similar?

I thought maybe we got a rooster, however the waddles and combs are all developing the same on all of the chickens. I can add more photos if needed.

The large tail feathers is C-Cheepio, and the other one is Hen2D2

Attachments

• Columbian Rocks.jpg
    Columbian Rocks.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 20
Hi Everyone, we're brand new to raising chickens (this is our first time ever having chickens) and it is a lot of fun.

We got 2 Columbian Rocks and 2 Barred Plymouth rocks to start as we were told they are great breeds for starting out, also where we are, they were the only breeds we could get sexed.

The Columbians are 9 weeks and the Barred are 8 weeks right now. One of the Columbians has these large straight up tail feathers that none of the other chickens are seeming to develop. Is this normal, will the other chickens develop something similar?

I thought maybe we got a rooster, however the waddles and combs are all developing the same on all of the chickens. I can add more photos if needed.

It is very normal for chickens to stick their tails up!

By the way, Congrats on joining!
I hope you have the best experience here!

Thanks so much for the welcoming response.

This is definitely proven to be a fun and rewarding hobby. I can't wait until we start getting the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom