Crazy week!

Bridger Davis

Songster
Jul 25, 2017
Evans Colorado
Wow... It has really been an insane week. On Tuesday, I got two eggs, which means 2 of my five ducks have started laying! I was all happy until i got a text from my uncle, who I had given two ducks to that said that one of the ducks got taken and half eaten by a hawk. The other duck was fine, but of course she would need friends, so I took her back. So I'm back to six ducks. This morning I found 3 eggs, so half of them are how laying! I tried reintroducing them to the duck I got back, and it seemed to be Ok until they started buying and pulling feathers, so I quarantined her once more. She's separated right now and has food and water.

OH YEAH and yesterday, I was sitting outside with the ducks, and a Cooper's hawk had the audacity to land on my fence and watch the ducks before I threw a rock at it. Like fr?!? So I was all mad that now I had to deal with Hawks too, so I googled a bunch and read that CDs will deter hawks.mi had a ton of old CDs, so I hung up around 30 everywhere in the yard, and strung fishing wire above the fence and between trees, so if he's flying low he might hit his wing on a piece of fishing wire. Does anyone have any other tips for deterring Hawks? I'm getting a fake owl, but other than that..??

Oh and another thing. One of the ducks started limping, but very slightly, yesterday. This has happened like 3 times with different ducks, and I give them some vitamin b complex, clean water as always, and within a couple days they are back to normal... But I am curious about the cause? Like why do they just randomly start limping??

Wow... It has really been an insane week. On Tuesday, I got two eggs, which means 2 of my five ducks have started laying! I was all happy until i got a text from my uncle, who I had given two ducks to that said that one of the ducks got taken and half eaten by a hawk. The other duck was fine, but of course she would need friends, so I took her back. So I'm back to six ducks. This morning I found 3 eggs, so half of them are how laying! I tried reintroducing them to the duck I got back, and it seemed to be Ok until they started buying and pulling feathers, so I quarantined her once more. She's separated right now and has food and water.

OH YEAH and yesterday, I was sitting outside with the ducks, and a Cooper's hawk had the audacity to land on my fence and watch the ducks before I threw a rock at it. Like fr?!? So I was all mad that now I had to deal with Hawks too, so I googled a bunch and read that CDs will deter hawks.mi had a ton of old CDs, so I hung up around 30 everywhere in the yard, and strung fishing wire above the fence and between trees, so if he's flying low he might hit his wing on a piece of fishing wire. Does anyone have any other tips for deterring Hawks? I'm getting a fake owl, but other than that..??

Oh and another thing. One of the ducks started limping, but very slightly, yesterday. This has happened like 3 times with different ducks, and I give them some vitamin b complex, clean water as always, and within a couple days they are back to normal... But I am curious about the cause? Like why do they just randomly start limping??
A fake owl didn't save my chickens from an eagle. Bird netting works. You can get one for less than $40 on Amazon that is 50'x50'. I don't know how big your chicken area is, but that's the best price I have found. It doesn't keep small birds out, but I'm not so concerned about those.

Back
Top Bottom