CRD - I just dont get it...

There is an egg withdrawl period. I think its like 10 days after last dosages. I don't advocate ignoring it, but to each his own. I have eaten the eggs a few days after the last dose... I do feed the eggs back to the birds though during the withdrawl period... Why waste all that protien.

great idea, recycle the antibiotics, there expencive! will do
clap.gif

Feeding birds back their own eggs after being treated with antibiotics will build bacterial resistance to the product the next time the product is used however slight the antibiotic residue is. It can also possibly extend the withdrawal period. It's best to toss the eggs in the garbage during the recommended withdrawal period.

I would like to know if anyone on this forum (honestly) has never dealt with CRD symptoms. Are there any preventative measures one can take to keep the symptoms from reappearing once they are under control? I can not put a bubble around my 11 acres :)

I have not dealt with this Thank God and am very sorry to hear what our going thru. I did have a old hen sound rattley a year or more ago that Oxine cleared up so I believe it was fungal. Because of that I did a ton of research and reading. I think you should look into Denagard. After initial treatment you treat once a month to keep it from coming back and there is no resistance. Best of luck to you.
http://www.denagard.com/vet-poultry/en/index.shtml

You can do a search here on BYC on it also.

I have not dealt with this Thank God and am very sorry to hear what our going thru. I did have a old hen sound rattley a year or more ago that Oxine cleared up so I believe it was fungal. Because of that I did a ton of research and reading. I think you should look into Denagard. After initial treatment you treat once a month to keep it from coming back and there is no resistance. Best of luck to you.
http://www.denagard.com/vet-poultry/en/index.shtml

You can do a search here on BYC on it also.

Where do you buy yours?

Denagard, from what I have read about it, is kind of the "last resort drug" when your chickens have been sick before and are not responding to more common drugs like tetracycline, tylosin (Tylan,) and erythromycin. It is expensive, hard to find, tastes very bitter, and some have to doctor up their water or put it in food before the sick birds will take it. Since you have never had sick birds before, I might be conservative and treat with the more common ones like Tylan, and leave the strongest one for later since your chickens may need it later. So far, it apparently has no resistance. It would be good to be able to use it as a preventative, though. Eventually all drugs meet resistant diseases.

Last edited:
i found a small bag of antibiotic at orshlens today for 6 dollars that treats this, thought i would give it a try until my vet gets the good stuff in. hope they can hang in there. alot of sneezing going on now. think its in the whole flock , no need to separate now. this stuff mixes in the feed, some type of miacin.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom