CRD - I just dont get it...

Stress in chickens can be a myriad of things. Sudden weather changes, a predator comes through, molting, a new cockerel is trying sow his oats... It doesn't have to be anything all that tremendous. Sometimes even just changing coops and having to lock them in to get hem used to the new digs.

highfive.gif

Thank you everyone posting on this subject.

I too am a newbie and did not quarantine 4 Dom pullets bought from Pace FL. I guess I was just so excited I didn't even ask the lady if she might have had any health problems. Now 2 (out of 3) of my "big girls" Australorps are sick. One is sever, going on a week (figures my only people person girl) now the other just started showing swollen eye today. They are both in the dog kennel in the back living room tonight. I am injecting Tylan 50, behind the neck and my worst girl is starting to show signs of improvement.

I was told by the lady I bought the Doms from to give Duramycin 1 tsp to a cup of water to the rest of the flock. Does this sound correct? I guess since she sold me a carrier she would know but ....

As a side note, hubby said tonight to stop guessing and find a vet. Sigh I guess I'm lucky in that I only have them for eggs and not breeding. That would truly be horrible but as Granny Hatchet said..Experience.

Thank you everyone posting on this subject.

I too am a newbie and did not quarantine 4 Dom pullets bought from Pace FL. I guess I was just so excited I didn't even ask the lady if she might have had any health problems. Now 2 (out of 3) of my "big girls" Australorps are sick. One is sever, going on a week (figures my only people person girl) now the other just started showing swollen eye today. They are both in the dog kennel in the back living room tonight. I am injecting Tylan 50, behind the neck and my worst girl is starting to show signs of improvement.

I was told by the lady I bought the Doms from to give Duramycin 1 tsp to a cup of water to the rest of the flock. Does this sound correct? I guess since she sold me a carrier she would know but ....

As a side note, hubby said tonight to stop guessing and find a vet. Sigh I guess I'm lucky in that I only have them for eggs and not breeding. That would truly be horrible but as Granny Hatchet said..Experience.
Forget the duramycin, continue with the tylan 50 injections for no more than 5 days max. Injecting into the breast muscle just under the skin will give you quicker results, alternate injection sites. I dont know if anyone told you the dosage for injecting; 1/2cc once a day for standard size birds, 1/4cc once a day for smaller birds. Your other option is to cull sick birds. Tylan is more potent than duramycin soluable powder. Also, sick birds wont drink treated water, if they do, it wont be enough to be effective. With duramycin, there's a 21 day withdrawal period...tylan, 7 day withdrawal period.
Sounds like mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) I suggest you read up on it. When acquiring new birds, quarantine them a good distance away from your existing flock for at least 6 weeks. In six weeks time there are certain diseases that incubate and show themselves in this time frame. This will give you the chance to treat or cull. I always recommend culling as they will ALWAYS soread the disease to your healthy flock via clothing, hands, shoes, airborne, soil etc....then you'll be playing nursemaid to sick birds $$$. Quarantining also gives you the time to thoroughly visually inspect the birds top to bottom for injuries, bumps, abnormalties and so on, treat for external parasites using sevin dust which contains 95% DE and 5% carbaryl...it's the carbaryl that kills the lice/mites and has staying power. Then worm them chemically using either safeguard liquid goat wormer or valbazen liquid cattle sheep wormer because you dont know what their previous soil conditions were, nor what types of worms they may have whether you see them in feces or not. Worms wont leave its host unless one or two die and are excreted, or if there's an infestation and there's no other place to go but out the rear end of the chicken. As you can see, you unknowingly were given sick bird(s)...trust is an issue when buying from breeders, craigslist, swap meets. Practice strict biosecurity and maintain a closed flock.

on an up note, i did not cull and yes, about the time some got better others got sick and i would have to start all over again. i agree that culling is probable the best but i couldnt bring myself to do that. so, i treated them all. it was a job and very hard and time consuming. the thing that got me was its in wild birds, so grass clipping and i saw no sense in culling all my birds if new ones could pick it up just as easy.everyone on here was very helpful and im sure they would have all died without them. and i dont think i said, THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!! we are all doing good now

on an up note, i did not cull and yes, about the time some got better others got sick and i would have to start all over again. i agree that culling is probable the best but i couldnt bring myself to do that. so, i treated them all. it was a job and very hard and time consuming. the thing that got me was its in wild birds, so grass clipping and i saw no sense in culling all my birds if new ones could pick it up just as easy.everyone on here was very helpful and im sure they would have all died without them. and i dont think i said, THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!  we are all doing good now

:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom