CRD (possible mycoplasmosis) in flock...TEST UPDATE

hugs.gif
This must have been the hardest experience you've had. I know I would be just devistated.
hit.gif

hugs.gif
I'm so sorry....

I was following the thread, hoping for a better outcome...

Please let us know the results of the necropsy.

It is nice that they will give you the ashes back...

Quote:
Well, it isn't the hardest experience I've ever had, but its definitely very upsetting

I feel for you
hugs.gif
I've started mine on denegard but now I have a new silkie sick, and she can't see. It is like what you described where she is biting into the air looking for food or water, but is missing it. I wish someone would just come and get mine without asking so I didn't have to keep going back and forth with my decision. Be strong and send me pics when you start over!
hugs.gif

Quote:
Well, it isn't the hardest experience I've ever had, but its definitely very upsetting

I feel for you
hugs.gif
I've started mine on denegard but now I have a new silkie sick, and she can't see. It is like what you described where she is biting into the air looking for food or water, but is missing it. I wish someone would just come and get mine without asking so I didn't have to keep going back and forth with my decision. Be strong and send me pics when you start over!
hugs.gif

Ya i totally understand your situation.
I'm really surprised how i was able to force myself to do it.
by the time i got there, thoughts of "oh....i don't want to hand them over...lets go home....
hide.gif
" had started popping in my head.
I was so upset, because i had to hand over my polish and it was looking at me like "where am i going? why are you leaving?"
I had to hurry out so i didn't cry in front of the women. That had to be the most heartbreaking part, seeing their faces and hearing their crys for me to come back
hit.gif
Even thinking about it now brings me to tears. But i just keep trying to tell myself it was for the best...

But i am happy that the people working their were really nice.
I explained how they are my beloved pets and i would like them to take good care of them.
They answered all my questions about how they would be put down and the process of everything, so that made me feel a bit better.
They were put down with CO2 so it made me relieved that they would just go to sleep instead of something horrible like the dreaded heart stick method.

I truly wish you luck with your flock and whatever you decide to do.

I bought my fiance a incubator for Christmas (to cheer him up, since he was very upset about losing his favorite chicken), so we will probably try to hatch some polish bantam chicks in march or april, once we think everything has been properly dis-infected of course.

Its going to be a lonely few months without chickens though
sad.png

Quote:
I'm so so sorry for your loss. When I read this line in your post, I imagined my own coop/run being empty. It was like a knife stab to the heart. These little guys sure get to us, huh?

You did a great, noble thing, putting their well being ahead of your own feelings. Thank you for taking such good care of them, and for caring so much. Take care.
hugs.gif

So sorry to hear you had your flock put down.

I am a believer to have tests run to find out exactly what you are dealing with. Spent too much in vet bills and the vet wasn't preformed any testing... and thanks to BYC I realized I needed to find a new vet!

Being new to this area I had not gotten word about the "bleeder" vet: the vet would have animals come back numerous times for a "recheck" (at $35 or more a "recheck" visit), again, thank you BYC!.

My new vet takes care of the problem 'spot on' at the first visit, if he has to run tests, he calls with results and I can swing by to pick up the medication, no additional office fee! Once in a while a follow up may be needed if the animal doesn't show improvement.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone..

Now that its morning...i honestly don't know what to do...
Normally i go straight outside to feed/water and hang out with the chickens...now i don't know what to do.
My life revolved around my chickens.
It feels like my motivation to get up in the morning is gone...
hit.gif

Your motivation is to get out there and start getting ready for your next flock! Now is your chance to make any changes etc. to your coop. Get to it! It is sad but it had to be. Now get to work and planning for the Spring.
sharon

Back
Top Bottom