CRD (possible mycoplasmosis) in flock...TEST UPDATE

Quote:
I considered calling a state vet but i thought i wouldn't be able to get a hold of them and my vet was already familiar with the case.
Hes has pretty good experience with all types of animals and worked in zoo's before so i at least felt comfortable with him treating our birds.
If i knew it was that cheap for a state vet though, i would have got them to do it! The blood test cost me $80 for only one bird!
hit.gif
We have spent so much money back and forth trying to fix this problem and it seems we are at a loss in the end.

The problem i have had though is figuring out how i'm going to cull....i am dreading it
hide.gif

I have come to terms with them having to be culled but I am very sensitive when it comes to animals and can't ever bring myself to snap or cut a neck.
Do you know if you can get a state vet to come out and euthanize my infected flock? (i'll probably end up calling them anyway).
I know my fiance wanted some to be necropsy because he wants to know what exactly happened to are beloved birds :[.....so i guess if we were going to do that...they would do the deed for us.
Anyway, this information is very very helpful, thank you!

Last edited:
You can bring live birds to the lab for a necropsy and they will cull. There is a fee but if you talk to the state vet she will be able to get most of it covered by the state under some chicken program she has.

I know if the state finds AI they will come out and cull for you. MG/MS/Cocci/Merricks probably not.

I'm not going to lie and say culling a pet bird is easy. My 15 layers were my babies. I had raised and been raising meat birds for some time so slaughtering a bird was nothing new to me. You can click on my page for links if you want to read the story. I did it myself because I felt I owed it to them. I used the old fashioned hatchet method and they felt no pain.

For now I suggest waiting for the results of the tests from the vet.

I'd offer to help but I'm a couple thousand miles away until January.

Quote:
Thank you.
I will have more information on the results by tomorrow, but its good to know i can call the state vet, if none of that ends up being helpful.

Ya i know UCON has a fee, when i looked it up, it was like $90 for 4-5 birds...
It would be very useful if the state vet is able to cover it some how:/
We have spent hundreds as it is trying to treat them, test them, etc. so now we are really money crunching just hoping to figure this all out and get it over with.
I wish i could cull my own birds (its cheap, fast, less stressful on them) but i would probably just end up fainting or having some sort of panic attack and traumatizing myself
th.gif

Anyway, atleast now i know i have more options if i end up having to cull

Last edited:
Yes, I forgot about getting the state involved. Different states have different funds, just like with the pullorum testing.
When I went to Delaware for a show last year, the state is VERY helpful as to what is going on with diseases.
I met with the state tester before the show. He express mailed swabs for my flock, I shipped them back, he tested them, did the pullorum test on my birds, all the paperwork. NO charge.
"It's just my job", wouldn't even take a tip.
It can damage revenue, if you think about it. I guess there is a large poultry industry there.
So if Ct cares, the state can step in. Just think, it could turn into an outbreak, or epidemic, if left untreated.
NOT to get you nervous, or to say that will happen, I don't want to make you feel worse than you already do.
This is why we pay taxes.

Oh yes, I would suggest seeing the test results first also! Who know? It may not be necessary to cull! Stranger things have happened. If it were me, I would hate to put them all down before knowing what it is, then end up finding out it was something that could have been fixed. It would be a miracle, yes, but miracles do happen! I would just want to be sure myself.

Matter of fact, I may be in the same boat before long. I have lost one Barred Rock roo, and now I have no-necker roo and 2 RIR hens who are sick with weakness, crusty eyes with white pus under the crust, runny nose, and loss of appetite. The vet had me start them on tetracycline, while seperated from the flock, and started the whole flock on it also. They have been on tetra for 2 days and are so much better, eating/drinking well, stronger and drainage is cleared up. But after hearing your problem, it makes me wonder if they will show symptoms again after coming off the tetra. I will keep a close eye!

Good luck, and I hope you get your miracle!

Quote:
Hi, well the reason we think if is something that can't be fixed is because they were put on tetracycline in the beginning of October when we first noticed the symptoms.
They were on it for like 2 weeks and were given yogurt as a pro biotic.
The symptoms went away for a while, but as soon as they were off it, they ended up getting sick and showing symptoms again.
The vet has no idea what it could be but very suspicious that it is some type of CRD.

Believe me is it wasn't contagious or makes them carriers for lives, i would be so happy.
But I'm just trying to be realistic and not to get my hopes up.

Last edited:
So i just finished talking to our vet and after discussing everything,From symptoms to blood test results, he thinks we should cull our flock.
He's honestly not sure if it is M.S or not but either way, He does think its some type of Chronic Respiratory Disease, where they will be carriers for life.
He has recommend we get them necropsy-ed at Ucon and to call him when we know the results because hes really curious.
I admit, I'm alittle relieved to say atleast i am not hanging by a string here fighting with myself about whats going on.
Atleast now we don't have to stress about them being sick/suffering anymore and we will get some answers.
Its going to be really hard saying bye to them..., but ya, i thank all of you for the support.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom