CRD (possible mycoplasmosis) in flock...TEST UPDATE

I'm still waiting for the test results, i should get back today or tomorrow.
But apparently more and more customers chickens from this person are either dieing or getting sick.
They also think its due to CRD, but the seller refuses.
Anywho, i was out in the run with my chickens today and found this:
100_4292.jpg

The red and white poo definitely scared me and i automatically thought cocci...but the chickens should be too old for it and are between 6-9 months old.
The red (blood?) almost looked like a squished raspberry, but keep in mind, i have not fed them anything red or usual to cause that.
Now i'm thinking maybe they have multiple problems?
I'm pretty darn sure they have CRD but is it even possible they could have cocci?
Or could CRD also cause bloody/white watery stool?
This is the first time of bloody stool and its the only one i found.
They all have weird stool though, either white and watery, or black like tar, or the yellow foamy cecal stuff...rarely any normal stool anymore
hmm.png

I don't even feed them lots of treats, they mostly eat their layer feed.

I'm still probably going to have to cull them but i'm just wondering if this new information would mean anything.

That looks like a berry from a wild bird.
That may be where some of your problems are coming from, too bad other birds are dieing elsewhere..

Quote:
Well i'm pretty sure the chickens were sick before i even got them outside
hmm.png
I noticed the first symptoms in quarantine. I had them on antibiotics then moved them outside when they looked "better" but the symptoms only came back and got worse.
All the other people who bought from them all have the chicken with the swelling eye/face. Only difference is some of the other people birds have died, mine haven't.
But there have been times i really thought i was going t lose them and had to kind of "revitalize" them.
My other chickens were also fine before the new ones got here, now everyone is sick.

Good to hear it looks like a berry though! Thought it would look weird for blood.
Very relieved its not blood!

Last edited:
I am certain they came to you sick.
But I see those kind of poops all over the place.
Wild bird poops.
I had one bird get a disease from a pigeon, vet said it was so contagious, to not even bury the body in my yard, had it cremated.
I was lucky it was only that one.

Quote:
Ya, i don't doubt its wild bird poop/berries.
I know chickens can get diseases from wild birds, at this right maybe they could have caught something else? i have no clue, kinda hard to tell.
All i know, is they did come to me sick.
Sorry to hear about your chicken that got sick from a pigeon
sad.png
, kind of hard to protect them from wild birds.
You were very lucky you noticed it early and prevented it from spreading.
Thankfully before this, my chickens never got sick from any wild birds on my property.
But there is a first for everything..

Did you click on the link I sent, kinda long and boring, but alot of breeders are using that med, Denagard (sp?)
has alot to do for Mycoplasm stuff.
sorry, sound like an idiot, at work, doing too many things at once, but wanted you to see it.

Quote:
Ya i know about denagaurd and i know it can treat Mycoplasma but it won't ever get rid of it.
They will still be carriers for life
hmm.png

Ive considered giving it to my birds but i think i'd rather just get rid of the disease all together.
I don't think its fair to them to keep them alive knowing they will have it for life and possibly infect other birds.

Back
Top Bottom