1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cream Legbar chick. Male or Female?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cowgirl75446, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Cowgirl75446

Cowgirl75446 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Texas
    I hatched 3 Cream Legbar chicks about a week ago. I am certain I have 1 male, 1 female, but I am not sure about 1 chick. It has stripes like a female, but has a small white spot on it's head. What do you all think?

[​IMG]

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    thats a Female, dont breed from her ok...

Edit. post pics of the rest of the chicks..

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  3. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    where did you get your chicks from? some cream legbar breeders are also having the issue of hatching Dark males, that look like females with a headspot, to make things worst they are also getting the females with the headspot making autosexing ver tricky...

here a Dark male from GFF http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/cream-legbar/

[​IMG]

4. Cowgirl75446

Cowgirl75446 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Texas
    Hi, I have viewed Greenfire Farm's website and pictures, that is why I think it might be a male. The eggs were purchased from an ad/member on here: boykin2010
    Classified: 15+ *RARE* CREAM LEGBAR HATCHING EGGS INCLUDING SHIPPING ( REDUCED PRICE)
    The ad was for his eggs and then the eggs were actually shipped from his friend in Texas??? Their birds are from Greenfire Farm. I emailed him and he thinks it is a female, but I think it will be a dark male. I guess time will tell, I will not be keeping that chick if it is a male.

5. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    I would not breed from that chick if it was a Female either.. autosexing should be easy,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by