Cream legbar crossed Goldline, thoughts and experiences?

my new hen, or what i think is a hen
Cute chick!

To me its feather color makes it look more male because of the gray and white barring. My females look different than that at that age with more of a wild type color pattern and the salmon color starting to show in the breast. I will look and see if I can find a pic or 2.

edited to add pics
Here are a few of my females

Maybe different lines show different coloring but it has not been my experience to see gray and white barred pullet chicks
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Oh dear, i see what your saying! Brilliant pictures. I notice the eye line on the new chick, darker colour and different stature, aswel as less comb. Is the chest colour a sign i should be seeing by now?

Also, just noticed that we are very near neighbours! Hello and welcome! Where are you in Durham?

Im in langley park and you? Sorry didnt see that. Awesome. Have you had success with your rir and cl crosses? Green or blue eggs? Ive got my cockeral now just introducing him

Last edited:
I'm at Ebchester, just the other side of Consett, so we are pretty near neighbours.

Yes, my 2 CCLx RIR pullets are both laying very pretty green eggs. One is more a pale olive colour. It was quite dark initially but it's getting paler as her cycle progresses and the other is a very bonny pastel green. The olive one lays very consistently and I get at least 6 eggs a week. The other one has Marek's disease and is just recovering from her second attack but is laying at least every other day despite her partial paralysis. What I love most about them is their temperament though. They are both very friendly, easy to handle girls, even though their mother and father are timid. I have other pullets reared at the same time that are not so friendly either, so it must be something to do with their breeding.

Anyway, good luck with your breeding project with your new lad. I hope he grows up to be as handsome as my Harry.

Best wishes

Barbara

Ahh right smashing. Where did you get your cream legbar? Durham hens?
Oh no, not mareks, devastating.
I dont suppose you would be able to post a few pictures of your hybrids and the eggs? Itd be nice to see what i may get. Im a quail breeder primarily but this chicken cross was too rempting not to try - something alluring about coloured eggs.

The Marek's is, so far, not nearly as bad as it could be. I've only lost one pullet to it from 31 chicks raised last year and the two I have with paralysis are stable or improving over the past few months and quite mobile although they need a little tlc. Both are happy and look well and are laying though, so I consider myself fortunate at the moment. It's a shame I have it as I could have given you a beautiful cream legbar cockerel who is in the batchelor pad awaiting freezer camp.

I was gifted a pair of cream legbars by a friend who was down sizing and he may have got them from Durham Hens. I then acquired another 2hens at auction but lost the original hen and one of the others to dogs, so I only have a pair of cream legbars left plus the cockerel I bred from them, plus a couple I got from my sister out law but I'm not sure if they are pure.... she bought hatching eggs and incubated them for me along with some welsummers. You are welcome to come and visit my flock if you like and see them for yourself. You will need to change clothes before returning to your flock though. Unfortunately I am not able to take and post photos yet and it's not high on my long list of priorities at the moment..

Regards

Barbara

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom