Cream Legbar egg size

Purple House

Songster
Dec 14, 2016
Kentucky
Hi all, I have four cream legbars that have been laying for a little over two months. Their eggs are still small, the size of pullet eggs. Greenfire Farms says the cream legbar egg size can be misleading since the diameter of the eggs can be larger than other breeds, but mine aren't. They're narrower and too small for me to sell.

The birds are nice but I'm really disappointed with their eggs.

What are your experiences with these eggs? When should they get larger? I'm about to give up waiting and might sell the birds soon unless the egg size improves. I'm much happier with the egg color and size from my true Ameraucanas. Thanks for any info you can provide :)

My Legbar hens range from 10 months to 5 years and they are all laying large eggs. I can still tell my two 5 year olds eggs though, they are a little bigger. It seems like mine don't start laying what I would consider "large" eggs till around 7-8 months or so in age.

My pullet start laying between 20-24 weeks weeks of age with egg size between 35-45 grams. The mature hens lay between 60-75 grams eggs. I cull anything that is laying less than a 65 gram egg. When I started with my flock I was getting about 85% of the hens laying in the 63-66 gram range and about 10% laying in the 68-71 gram range. After several year of selecting for larger eggs i am seeing about 75% laying in the 67-71 gram range. Below is the chart that was make of one the the early member of the flock. She was in the 63-66 gram range as a hen.
Egg Weight.png

My pullet start laying between 20-24 weeks weeks of age with egg size between 35-45 grams. The mature hens lay between 60-75 grams eggs. I cull anything that is laying less than a 65 gram egg. When I started with my flock I was getting about 85% of the hens laying in the 63-66 gram range and about 10% laying in the 68-71 gram range. After several year of selecting for larger eggs i am seeing about 75% laying in the 67-71 gram range. Below is the chart that was make of one the the early member of the flock. She was in the 63-66 gram range as a hen.View attachment 1106962

Thanks for the info Gary. Sounds like I should've gotten chicks from you!

At about 8 1/2 months, mine are still laying disappointingly small, very pale green eggs. I doubt they're full legbars now. Only one has a crest. They're nice calm birds though so I decided to keep them, most of their eggs are going to my dogs.

Thanks for the info Gary. Sounds like I should've gotten chicks from you!

At about 8 1/2 months, mine are still laying disappointingly small, very pale green eggs. I doubt they're full legbars now. Only one has a crest. They're nice calm birds though so I decided to keep them, most of their eggs are going to my dogs.
Can you share a few pics of your girls.
I'd like to see what they look like.

Back
Top Bottom