Cream legbar HEN with huge spurs

OwO

Songster
9 Years
May 26, 2014
UK
Here's my cream legbar's spurs which have grown pretty big now. Is this normal for her breed?? She is definitely a hen and lays eggs

1589843442791.png

Sometimes dominant hens will grow spurs. It's more common in the absence of a rooster, but I have two right now and my polish girls has some pretty sharp ones. :)

I don't like to pull them off, they're a natural part of the chicken's body and the exposed part can be very sensitive (that's why it's cased in the spur). They can also get infected pretty easily. But then again, maybe I'm just a little too squeamish; it's hard for me to believe it doesn't hurt them.

I only intervene if they are sharp to the point of being dangerous or have grown too long and are interfering with the chicken's movement. In that case, I just take a pair of pet nail clippers and trip them down a little (be careful not to get too close to the base, otherwise you risk cutting into that sensitive area and drawing blood).

Yes, you can do it without causing them much pain by waiting until they are looser or when they arent growing more by just twisting and pulling.

Back
Top Bottom