Cream Legbar hen with no tail?

Cluckatar

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Vashon, WA
I have three cream legbar chicks that I hatched from shipped eggs. One roo and two hens, 13 weeks old. I'm wondering if more experienced breeders could tell me if they are normal for the breed? I apologize for the photos, I can't ever get a good shot at this age, and in a run.. but here are a few. They are production line focused, eggs from Foxfire.

The hen in the third pic has no tail, has never had any sign of a tail. Is a rumpless cream legbar a thing? They have extra comb spurs that only a mother would love (yes, I love their combs, but I'm prepared to hear that those are a fault). The other hen seems to have a normal tail, and the little roo is lovely. The other two from this hatch are mosaics.

Attachments

• IMG_8720.jpeg
    IMG_8720.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8725.jpeg
    IMG_8725.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8729.jpeg
    IMG_8729.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8730.jpeg
    IMG_8730.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Rumpless legbars pop up from time to time, I've seen several people report them in the legbar groups on FB this year.

I personally think they look really cool. Would be nice to try to get a pair of them together but i think I've only seen females.

rumplessness is a common mutation that can happen in chickens. Some breeds are more susceptible than others. In Marans, about 1 in 100 can hatch with rumplessness in my flock. I eat rumpless cockerels when old enough to eat but there is nothing saying a rumpless female wouldn't lay eggs perfectly fine. Breeding rumpless (like aracauna) comes with its own problems, as the lack of tailbone can make breeding hit or miss for the cocks.

Back
Top Bottom