Cream Legbar Mix Roo?

Ekuntz32

Hatching
May 30, 2020
He/she is almost 3 weeks now. They are the most dominant of the group, always flying into the other chicks and chest bumping them lol. Very curious.
They have also always had the fastest developing comb and tail of the group. (Though the comb isn’t really pink nor any waddle development)
Certainly a certain gender? Or way too early to tell still?

47D181AC-06E6-4501-B9FB-68C695709F9D.jpeg
6722EB47-F899-4625-A079-87610B486B0B.jpeg
C5288718-42A8-48A4-A85C-179979D596D1.jpeg

You say Cream Legbar mix. Do you know which parent was the Cream Legbar, and who the other parent was?

If that's correct, then the chick should be a sexlink: white bars on the feathers would be a cockerel, no white bars would be a pullet.

I don't see any white bars on those feathers, so I think pullet.

(But then I go look at photos of Cream Legbars, and I can't find the white bars on some of those hens either, so maybe I'm all wrong. I though sure they were a barred breed.)

If that's correct, then the chick should be a sexlink: white bars on the feathers would be a cockerel, no white bars would be a pullet.

I don't see any white bars on those feathers, so I think pullet.

(But then I go look at photos of Cream Legbars, and I can't find the white bars on some of those hens either, so maybe I'm all wrong. I though sure they were a barred breed.)
Hope so! I’ve had some people say that mixes are not in fact a sex link?

I’ve had some people say that mixes are not in fact a sex link?

Purebred Cream Legbars are an autosexing breed: you breed a Cream Legbar rooster to a Cream Legbar hen, and you can tell the male from the female chicks when they hatch.

Sexlinks are one-time crosses. So all sexlinks are mixes.
For example, you cross a Rhode Island Red rooster to a Barred Rock hen, and you get black sexlinks. The males have white bars like their mom, and the females are mostly black and have no bars. They are commonly called "Black Sexlinks."

But if you try to cross those sexlink chicks to each other, you will get some males and females with white bars on their feathers, and males and females with no bars. (You also get chicks that have black, red, and sometimes ones that are mostly white.)

To create sexlinks, you need any hen with the barring gene--thich causes her to have white bars on her feathers. Cream Legbars are supposed to work for this. And you need any rooster that does not have bars. Most Ameraucanas would work for this. And then you get sons that have white bars like their mom, and daughters that have no bars like their dad.

(There are several sexlinked genes in chickens, so other kinds of sexlinks exist too.)

Purebred Cream Legbars are an autosexing breed: you breed a Cream Legbar rooster to a Cream Legbar hen, and you can tell the male from the female chicks when they hatch.

Sexlinks are one-time crosses. So all sexlinks are mixes.
For example, you cross a Rhode Island Red rooster to a Barred Rock hen, and you get black sexlinks. The males have white bars like their mom, and the females are mostly black and have no bars. They are commonly called "Black Sexlinks."

But if you try to cross those sexlink chicks to each other, you will get some males and females with white bars on their feathers, and males and females with no bars. (You also get chicks that have black, red, and sometimes ones that are mostly white.)

To create sexlinks, you need any hen with the barring gene--thich causes her to have white bars on her feathers. Cream Legbars are supposed to work for this. And you need any rooster that does not have bars. Most Ameraucanas would work for this. And then you get sons that have white bars like their mom, and daughters that have no bars like their dad.

(There are several sexlinked genes in chickens, so other kinds of sexlinks exist too.)
Okay! That’s super interested! I didn’t realize that! I thought sexing by color/marking was an all or nothing thing! Thanks!

At almost 5 weeks, it’s comb is really pinking up compared to its siblings 😬😬

Also, getting really redish coloring comparatively and a looooong tail🤷🏼‍♀️
8B070617-5289-4639-B2F6-BE3F78346A63.jpeg
5BC25A32-7EE3-474B-B004-B5DB9474C109.jpeg

DFBFB36B-D486-4257-BA41-5D01EC23B6FA.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom