Cream Legbar Pictures

Pics
Thank you both!
smile.png

Each week he becomes more beautiful as his feathers fill in more. And since I sold my Appenzeller rooster, now Westley is able to make some headway with the hens. I have 3 CL pullets and 15 hens/pullets/chicks of other breeds. Most of them are too young, but he's been successful with a few of them.

Is your "goal in life" most relevant to chickens or? =)

O
Thank you, love the peeping out pic =)

I was looking for the racing stripes that are typical on the back of the pullets, didn't see any in the top view.

Oh I already knew he was a cockerel he has the markings, I thought the yellow dot on the back of his head was a dead give away

Sunny is fading with age and just finished his first molt. What do you think?

Hi Kendy,
Are you thinking Sunny looks less gold as he ages?

For comparison, I haven't seen that in my flock which has a few different "lines".
If they started out with the hall markings of gold, they stayed that way even if they faded with age i.e. mismatched hackles and saddle feathers, bright red/chestnut in the wings and usually a lot of it, warmer/browner body feathers, etc.
If they started out decidedly cream, that hasn't changed either - matching hackles and saddle feathers (cream, not white, not gold), very little dark red in the wings, gray (not brown or gold) in the body feathers.
I haven't seen anything that combines any of those traits i.e. mix and match.

Sorry if I missed this, but have you matched him up with any double cream girls? The offspring should be a strong indicator if Sunny is split for cream or? I wouldn't hesitate to use him in that pairing as he has so many nice attributes.

Hi Kendy,
Are you thinking Sunny looks less gold as he ages?

For comparison, I haven't seen that in my flock which has a few different "lines".
If they started out with the hall markings of gold, they stayed that way even if they faded with age i.e. mismatched hackles and saddle feathers, bright red/chestnut in the wings and usually a lot of it, warmer/browner body feathers, etc.
If they started out decidedly cream, that hasn't changed either - matching hackles and saddle feathers (cream, not white, not gold), very little dark red in the wings, gray (not brown or gold) in the body feathers.
I haven't seen anything that combines any of those traits i.e. mix and match.

Sorry if I missed this, but have you matched him up with any double cream girls? The offspring should be a strong indicator if Sunny is split for cream or? I wouldn't hesitate to use him in that pairing as he has so many nice attributes.

First, I know he isn't changing genetically with age.. I assume you know i know that. ;). Yes, he has faded some, but also after his molt, he is notable less yellow in the hackles, and the saddle which used to be orange is now yellow, and although a mismatch from his hackles not nearly as much. He also did have more chestnut, but it has faded a lot too. I haven't tried him on any double cream hens, I have some other things to do before I get to color.... If I do. I think he is beautiful. I am not challenging YOU specifically, rather everyone.... I don't see how he falls out of the SOP regarding color. If I am missing something, I would be really happy to hear it. I know, I know.. lighting and pictures. Let's just assume this picture is his natural color. Let's run to the Rooster SOP for color and see where he is off. His legs are not very yellow, quite pale and boring. This is not a challenge of defensiveness. It is an honest question, specifically, if I should work on his color, how do I quantify that with the SOP??? I would love as many people to weigh in a possible.... As an honest disclaimer. As some of you know, I prefer a little more color than most people are going for so for, so now I am working on type and waiting to see how the color issues pan out. I know the really light birds with poor barring are having Autosexing issues. I just don't want to jump the gun on color until other things are worked out. He has a great type and throws nice chicks, but yes, towards the gold side. Occasionally a cream, but I would guess most of my hens are split or gold as well. In the mean time, I am working on tail, leg color, and I would like him to be a bit bigger. I haven't weighed him though. :)

Okay... Referencing the SOP... Please.. I double dog dare ya... Where is he off?
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom