Cream Legbar Rooster attacked by mongoose

konafarmgirl

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 25, 2014
Kona, Big Island Hawaii
We recently purchased a Cream Legbar rooster and the first night it was attacked by a mongoose. The mongoose practically ripped the back of its head off, but it is still living. It hadn't drank in three days, but yesterday we fed it juiced feed through a syringe. It is suprisingly still alive, and we've have been spraying the wound with antibiotic spray, and feeding it hard boiled egg (that's what a neighbor recommended). Does anyone know what to do in this situation? It can't eat on its own, but we don't want to put it down because, living in Hawaii, they are extremely hard to get and we got it a low price. Help! What should I do?

My goodness I wondered where you lived - not everyone has to worry about mongoose predators. Chickens generally have great recuperative powers, and survive some horrendous wounds. The thing to do is check for infection and prevent flies from laying eggs in the wound. Maggots can kill them faster than the injury itself.

Please post in full detail and photos if you have any at "emergencies, disease, injuries, cures ," thread - responders there may recommend some antibiotic in case of infection. Poor thing may be in shock - so sometimes they don't eat right away. You could flush the wound with saline solution or diluted Betadine (iodine sol.) then pack with Neosporin oint. (No CAINE ingredient).

Please upgrade coop or pen, so no more mongoose attacks. I thought they just go after snakes. See I don't really know much about them. Aloha - glad you joined the BYC flock.

Sadly the Cream Legbar rooster died. We tried feeding it and helping it drink, but unable to eat or drink on its own it died the fourth day after the attack. Thank you for all your help, we probably could've made it work, but it was suffering and it was its time to go.

Back
Top Bottom