Cream Legbar Rooster+ Lavender Ameraucana hens

Mar 7, 2024
What would the chicks look like and what egg color? I have these breeds I'm thinking of crossing to get a brighter blue egg and barred lavender plumage. Would this work?

What would the chicks look like and what egg color? I have these breeds I'm thinking of crossing to get a brighter blue egg and barred lavender plumage. Would this work?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

The egg thing is more complicated than I can currently comment on. Especially since you don't know what shade egg color he's producing. When I participated in the Ameraucana breeders club.. there was was a lot of discussion on the topic.

But the first generation crosses will NOT be lavender.. since lavender is recessive and breeds as black when not bred to itself. can't remember fully.. but the offspring will be carrying 1 copy of lav.. bred to one another.. will produce 50% lav offspring or bred back to lav will then produce lav offspring. Hmm lets see, the barring does come in there.. my brain isn't computing just yet.. but I'm gonna enjoy thinking about it for a bit while looking forward to reading other responses. This is my version of a fun mystery! All first gen offspring will get a copy of barring from the CCL sire.. *if* I recall correctly.

Offspring combs would be pea.. as it's dominant to straight. Some might get small crests. Beard should be dominant.

Back
Top Bottom