Cream legbar stopped laying a week ago and now done a funny poop - worms?

plum14

Songster
Oct 3, 2018
Leeds UK
Do people think I need to be worming everyone? She usually lays most days so it's strange she isn't. We have had some hot weather but none of the others stopped laying. Her comb seems a little pale but she's eating and drinking.

y4mqr7tW9nl9dZNWZgdZ8YikwJuOyfsoTSR6YxICO_h24cuafZILBtSXrKVjbplC1Nlyn4z63iVasytiCVBdzUL65I3jOZ09udbwshGfhWhgqRax4Q9bPSEAVmsWuWq0OrAgkqc4kYzGiljWOeu1d1LKDWiD5voU0zYBrCGwiCLtUDHWnOGSuGZU91G0K3E0iIfvl8jfNeyt1lWXjJXecIoUTJXVscbdo2IQrD0Vkwz5kk

How old is she? Can you get a fecal float test done? That would tell you if parasites are present and you'd know whether worming might be an issue or not. Are all or most of the droppings that way, or just occasional? That could just be a cecal dropping, those happen a few times a day and are different color and consistency than regular droppings, but still normal. Droppings will also tend to be runnier if it's hot and they are drinking more water to stay cool. Any kind of stress can cause a stoppage of laying, and every bird is a little different. Depending on age, molt is also a possiblility. Some birds molt early, some late, and stopping laying is sometimes the first clue, they normally do not lay during molt. That would also account for her paleness, they often will lose some color during molt. I'd give her a good examination, check her body condition/weight, make sure crop is working normally, look her over well for any signs of mite/lice, and any other indication of a health problem. or injury.

Do people think I need to be worming everyone? She usually lays most days so it's strange she isn't. We have had some hot weather but none of the others stopped laying. Her comb seems a little pale but she's eating and drinking.

y4mqr7tW9nl9dZNWZgdZ8YikwJuOyfsoTSR6YxICO_h24cuafZILBtSXrKVjbplC1Nlyn4z63iVasytiCVBdzUL65I3jOZ09udbwshGfhWhgqRax4Q9bPSEAVmsWuWq0OrAgkqc4kYzGiljWOeu1d1LKDWiD5voU0zYBrCGwiCLtUDHWnOGSuGZU91G0K3E0iIfvl8jfNeyt1lWXjJXecIoUTJXVscbdo2IQrD0Vkwz5kk
It’s possible that it has some sort of parasites, since the poop is bubbly. I’ve always put diatomaceous earth (it’s a more natural option) mixed with the chickens feed as a preventative. I would call a vet for the best option of medicine to use now for a quick fix. Then, I highly recommend the diatomaceous earth as a monthly natural preventative solution. Chickens peck at everything. Any wild bird that flies over, raccoon, or whatever other animal can carry and leave unwanted droppings full of parasites nearby.

DE is totally ineffective as a treatment for internal parasites. A waste of money, frankly. I would get a fecal done, if parasites are found then an appropriate chemical wormer should be used. In the US many are readily available without prescription, the options are different in the UK.

Yes as I'm in UK this type of thing usually requires a vet visit for which the cost is prohibitive. I've got them on flubenvet but still no sign of her laying but she does seem to be more alert and comb a little less pale...

Fubendazole (the med in flubenvet) dosed correctly should treat most common internal parasites. There are also worm count kits available on Amazon UK, I believe, that you can use to mail in a sample to a lab, so eliminating the need for a vet visit. Might be useful at some point.

Thanks still no sign of any egg from her but I've checked her pretty thoroughly. Crop fine, ears and eyes clear, no mites, abdomen feels fine so guess I just wait :confused:

Back
Top Bottom