Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Quote:
the only difference is the red enhancers making the DL darker but they have no effect of melanin expression on the birds secondaries, other gene/s are affecting the melanin on secondaries/hackle/saddle, it could be Pg, but I dont think pg alone is doing that

The question for the genetics experts is how are the Light Brown and Dark Brown Leghorn varieties differ genetically, and if you barred them then added Cream, how would each look? Could this explain the Cream Legbar's barred secondaries and barred saddle?
Not a genetics expert but here are the wing descriptions for the non-barred Dark Brown, Light Brown and Silver Leghorn male. Since barring affects both red and black, everything described below would alternate with "white." Double barring makes wider bands of white giving a lighter overall effect. Cream (ig) lightens all gold (brown) areas to off white and does not affect black.

DB - White in main tail feathers, sickles and secondaries is DQ. Fronts -- black Bows --- rich brilliant red. Coverts --- lustrous greenish black, forming well defined wing-bars when wings are folded. Primaries -- black, lower webs edged with brown. Secondaries -- black, edges of lower webs a rich brown of sufficient width to form a wing bay of same color. In a barred bird the secondaries would be barred both black and rich brown. Add ig and the rich brown only would be replaced by off white (cream.)

LB - DQ same as for DB. Fronts -- black. Bows -- rich, lustrous deep orange red. Coverts --- lustrous greenish black. Primaries -- dull black, lower web edged with brown. Secondaries -- dull black, edges of lower webs light brown of sufficient width to form a wing-bay of the same color. In a barred bird the secondaries would be barred both dull black (perhaps this is same as the dark gray of our Legbar???) and light brown. Add ig and the light brown only would be replaced by off white (cream.)

Silver -- DQ red feathers in any part of male plumage. Fronts -- black. Bows --- silvery white. Coverts - lustrous, greenish black forming a distinct bar across the wing. Primaries -- black except the lower feathers, the outer edges of which should be silvery white. Secondaries -- part of outer webs of feathers in wing-bay, white, the remainder of feathers, black. In a barred bird the secondaries will be barred black and silvery white. ig would have no effect as there is no gold to inhibit and the secondaries would still be black and silvery white.

CL --- Fronts and Bows—dark gray, faintly barred, some chestnut permissible. Coverts—gray, barred, tipped in cream. Primaries—dark gray, faintly barred, some white permissible. Secondaries—dark gray, more clearly barred. (The primaries here sound more like the Silver Leghorn primaries w/barring than either DB or LB.)

ETA - draft SOP for CL.

Last edited:
Who is getting ready for the Region South Ides of March celebration? If you'd like to enter your Cream Legbars (or any other pure bred birds for that matter), it's time to start getting them conditioned for show! Both locations will be having a Club table, if you'd just like to stop by and say "Hi!" or gather more information about Cream Legbars or the Cream Legbar Club too. Both locations are also ABA/APA sanctioned events.
Breed: Legbar, Variety: Cream, Class: English, Type: Large Fowl

TEXAS
The Fancy Feather's 4H Club is presenting their 7th Annual Open Chicken Show at a new location this year, Dripping Springs Ranch Park, 1042 Ranch Rd.12, Dripping Springs, TX on March 15, 2014. Join your Cream Legbar President, Curtis Hale, for the Cream Legbar chick contest! Or bring your beautiful eggs for the egg contest! Too many raffles, auctions, and contests to mention here...the new location proves to be an exciting show venue! P/T forms must accompany your birds. For free Pullorum-Typhoid testing, call (512) 466-8235.
To enter or for more information, please contact:
Jaci Kroupa
(830) 935-2608
[email protected]
If you are a Cream Legbar Club member and would like to help with the Club table for a bit, would you please let Curtis or I know? TIA!

SOUTH CAROLINA
The Sandlapper Poultry Breeder's Association is presenting the Low Country Classic at the Show Barn at 185 Hwy 37, in Barnwell, SC on March 15, 2014. Judging starts at 9 AM. This is a rural show with a welcoming group of people, wonderful judges, and a great place to start if you are new to showing poultry. This Spring the SPBA is encouraging junior showmanship, so if your kids have been practicing, it's for them to show their skills!
Birds can usually be checked in the night before or the morning of the show. P/T forms must accompany your birds. P/T testers will be available at the welcome desk for your convenience. I will be bringing a few extra copies of the draft SOP if you need one to hang on your bird's cage.
To enter or for more information, please contact:
Mark Beasley
1264 Old Allendale Hwy, Barnwell SC 29812
803-259-3752 - home
803-671-1920- cell
[email protected]
Bring your lunch and chairs, and look for the blue shade tent outside at Noon for a brief get together of anyone interested in talking about Cream Legbars. I will be answering questions about the draft SOP, and hosting a drawing for one dozen hatching eggs (one entry per household please). BBQ is available for sale at the show or there are other eateries close by in Barnwell, or further in Aiken. Hope to see you there!
(Double Posted in Cream Legbar thread too)

Who is getting ready for the Region South Ides of March celebration?

TEXAS
The Fancy Feather's 4H Club is presenting their 7th Annual Open Chicken Show
I will be sending in my entry forms today. I want to take two (2) Marans and 4-5 Cream Legbars. My limit is 4 birds so I either have to leave the Marans at home or rely on others to bring Cream Legbars to make a good showing for the breed.
fl.gif
I think the latter options is what I will decide when filling out the form this evening. I look forward to the show.

Last edited:
I will be sending in my entry forms today. I want to take two (2) Marans and 4-5 Cream Legbars. My limit is 4 birds so I either have to leave the Marans at home or rely on others to bring Cream Legbars to make a good showing for the breed.
fl.gif
I think the latter options is what I will decide when filling out the form this evening. I look forward to the show.
Do they have a limit of 4 per breeder, or is 4 all that will fit in your car? I would hate for you to not show your Marans! At least you would still have 2 CLs representing the breed.

Do they have a limit of 4 per breeder, or is 4 all that will fit in your car? I would hate for you to not show your Marans! At least you would still have 2 CLs representing the breed.

No...that is just all conditioning pens that I have (and time for bathing, and space in the hatchback for transporting).

Quote:
Yep...I have heard of some people taking more than 60 birds to a single show (i.e. fowlman01), but I am trying to keep things small to save my sanity.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom