Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Pics
How sad! I'm sorry to hear this. It's always a favorite...
hugs.gif

Yes, back to back losses always sad. Maybe mites were a secondary condition to something else. Gosh, I hope not. Does the person who sold/gave you the birds know? Anything going on with their flock?

Yes, back to back losses always sad. Maybe mites were a secondary condition to something else. Gosh, I hope not. Does the person who sold/gave you the birds know? Anything going on with their flock?
x2! Oh no! I hope it isn't anything communicable beyond mites... will they offer replacements?? You haven't had them that long at all. Seems that mites and/or lice go after those with other issues first. Lowered immune system..??
hu.gif

I don't know if Rachael has told them about the birds being sick and having mites or not. She was planning to, but was a little afraid to because they are a big seller on rarebreedauctions.
They didn't really have any symptoms, besides the mites, except for a watery, closed eye, and dirty butt feathers.
idunno.gif

I don't know if Rachael has told them about the birds being sick and having mites or not. She was planning to, but was a little afraid to because they are a big seller on rarebreedauctions.
They didn't really have any symptoms, besides the mites, except for a watery, closed eye, and dirty butt feathers.
idunno.gif

Oh my goodness! *humongous hugs*
I've noticed that they haven't been selling this week so I think someone either told them about the mites or they figured it out. I think it can happen to anybody.
So sorry for your losses. That is heartbreaking. If it helps, I've had mine for 6 weeks and other than the initial itching and comb lightening last week they've been fine. I'm going to continue to dust with wood ash (both the birds and the coop) just as a precaution, but everybody is looking good. I think the FF and UACV have really upped their immune systems. Blue did have a dirty butt the first week or so but he's looking good now. Best wishes with your last little girl from the trio!

idunno.gif
I hope your pullet turns around and the other one stays healthy! I'm sorry this is happening..
hugs.gif

I think I'm out of the Cream Legbar business. :-(

A hawk got my non-gold Cream Legbar pullet today (Christmas. Thanks, hawk.) This is my first chicken loss to a predator. Hawks have already hit four of my chickens, including my Cream Legbar cockerel, but only caused minimal damage those times. I guess it has refined its technique.

Joan was such a nice hen. She was quiet and shy, but had enough gumption not to get picked on. She wasn't a cuddly bird (only one of mine is -- a Silky) but I loved her nonetheless. She was just about ready to lay, getting a redder comb and investigating the nest boxes. Poor baby. :-(

I'm down to one cockerel and one pullet. I love them both dearly, but had been counting on Joan, who was the only one of the three who had good silver (cream) coloring. James is exceedingly colorful, lots of chestnut and red, and has a right-angle comb. I think he's gorgeous, but the standard doesn't agree. Jett, the remaining pullet, is very gold.

I don't think I can manage a breeding program with only two birds and a very determined hawk (and a recession-affected bottom line). That hawk got through fishing line strung at 2-inch intervals across the entire chicken yard. Rats.

Please keep my membership dues for the club. I'll miss you all.

I think I'm out of the Cream Legbar business. :-(

A hawk got my non-gold Cream Legbar pullet today (Christmas. Thanks, hawk.) This is my first chicken loss to a predator. Hawks have already hit four of my chickens, including my Cream Legbar cockerel, but only caused minimal damage those times. I guess it has refined its technique.

Joan was such a nice hen. She was quiet and shy, but had enough gumption not to get picked on. She wasn't a cuddly bird (only one of mine is -- a Silky) but I loved her nonetheless. She was just about ready to lay, getting a redder comb and investigating the nest boxes. Poor baby. :-(

I'm down to one cockerel and one pullet. I love them both dearly, but had been counting on Joan, who was the only one of the three who had good silver (cream) coloring. James is exceedingly colorful, lots of chestnut and red, and has a right-angle comb. I think he's gorgeous, but the standard doesn't agree. Jett, the remaining pullet, is very gold.

I don't think I can manage a breeding program with only two birds and a very determined hawk (and a recession-affected bottom line). That hawk got through fishing line strung at 2-inch intervals across the entire chicken yard. Rats.

Please keep my membership dues for the club. I'll miss you all.

I'm so sorry to read this! Cream Legbars seem to be hawk-bait for sure. :( The fact that a hawk got her with such closely spaced fishing line makes me scared. My fishing line is about 6" apart; I may have to re-think the area I will be keeping my Legbars in.

Don't give up on CLs! Do you hatch? I'm sure someone in the club would send you eggs. (I would for sure, but my Legbars aren't even hatching eggs themselves yet.
tongue.png
) And I'm trying to remember who is getting rid of extra cockerels...

Last edited:
Don't quit! We need you!

Where are you in Michigan? I have several cockerels to part with, and some are pretty nice. I am planning on keeping two or possibly three. I can also part with some chicks in another month or two for you. We have several Legbars that should start laying very soon.

Back
Top Bottom