Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

We actually discussed this when coming up with the draft version. All breeds do not mention shafting so it's kind of up to us. It's definitely debatable and I'm up to changing the wording if you all see fit...not panic worthy though ;)

That's because the Standard lists shafting under general defects. So unless you say it is permissible or required it will be marked down. Just an FYI for you guys. I'm rooting for quick acceptance and am trying hard to get some stock, so I do not have first hand experience to know if shafting is an issue in Cream Legbars but after showing for 20 years and many breeds where it IS an issue from both sides of the fence (some breeds where it is a fault and some where it is required), you do need to be aware of it and address it. If its a truly difficult goal to obtain but is doable great. If its impossible to get proper coloring without shafting then you need to specifically note it as permissible otherwise the Cream Legbar will always be fighting uphill past the breed level.

Thanks for the clarification BGMatt! Both H and I found our birds to possess shafts the same color as the web, which = no shafting...so we did not include it in the description.
Definitely something to watch for, but I think the end decision will depend on how the birds being shown look and not just pictures. My birds' pictures are showing a difference in color on the shafts of the back and I think it's due to the differences in composition,not color, if that makes any sense??? Because in person they are the same color, and I can barely see the breast feather shafts since they are so soft, and again the same color.

We actually discussed this when coming up with the draft version. All breeds do not mention shafting so it's kind of up to us. It's definitely debatable and I'm up to changing the wording if you all see fit...not panic worthy though
wink.png

I've looked at thousands of pictures of Welsummers and I have never seen one without the shaft color showing on the breast - its not mentioned anywhere in the SOP in regards to the breast color as a fault or DQ - but Walt informed us that if its not mentioned as being acceptable shafting is considered a fault and points are deducted when judging.

I've looked at thousands of pictures of Welsummers and I have never seen one without the shaft color showing on the breast - its not mentioned anywhere in the SOP in regards to the breast color as a fault or DQ - but Walt informed us that if its not mentioned as being acceptable shafting is considered a fault and points are deducted when judging.

if it is not mentioned, the judge will assume it is a fault, as shafting is a general defect unless specifically mentioned in the color description of each section. the Wellie back and the quail d'Anvers bantam describe where it is permissable. The sections are shown in the Standard.

What do the British say about shafting in these?

Walt

if it is not mentioned, the judge will assume it is a fault, as shafting is a general defect unless specifically mentioned in the color description of each section. the Wellie back and the quail d'Anvers bantam describe where it is permissable. The sections are shown in the Standard.

What do the British say about shafting in these?

Walt

thanks for coming over here Walt. I just wanted to make sure we catch everything we need to in advance

thanks for coming over here Walt. I just wanted to make sure we catch everything we need to in advance

This has been on my subscribed threads for quite a while, but I stopped coming and looking because it was making me dizzy........hahaha

I would love to see the latest version of the Standard. I spent some face to face time with one of the women that was working on this, but that was the end of January..

Walt

Walt, this is the Standard first draft of shape and color. The history and basic starting information will be released soon.

SHAPE -- MALE

Comb: Single; large, fine in texture, straight and upright, deeply and evenly serrated with six distinct points, extending well over the back of the head and following, without touching, the line of the head, free from side spikes, thumb-marks or twists.

Beak: Stout, point clear of the front of the comb, slightly curved.

Face: Smooth, skin fine in texture.

Eyes: Large, bright, and prominent. Round in appearance.

Wattles: Moderately long, thin, uniform in size, well rounded, free from folds or wrinkles. Skin soft.

Ear-lobes: Large, elongated oval, pendant, smooth and free from folds, equally matched in size and shape.

Crest: Small, well back from the eyes with narrow feathers falling off the back of the head to below the blade of the comb.

Head: Medium size, symmetrical, well balanced, and of fine quality.

Neck: Long and well covered with hackle feathers.

Back: Moderately broad at the shoulders, narrowing slightly toward the tail, long in length, flat, sloping slightly to the tail.

Saddle feathers—Abundant, long, and filling well in front of the tail.

Tail: Moderately full, carried at an angle of forty-five degrees above horizontal.
Main tail—feathers broad and overlapping.
Sickles—long and well curved.
Lesser Sickles and Coverts—long, of good width, nicely curved and abundant.

Wings: Large and carried close to the body without dropping.

Breast: Prominent, well-rounded, carried forward and upright.

Body and Fluff: Body moderately long, sloping to the tail, broad in front tapering slightly to the rear. Keel is of good length, following the line of the back. Feathers moderately long and close to the body.
Fluff—medium in length, moderately full.

Legs and Toes: Legs moderately long, straight when viewed from the front. Thighs are medium length.
Shanks round, strong, and free from feathers.
Toes—four, long, straight, and well-spread.

SHAPE -- FEMALE

Comb: Single; large, fine in texture, erect or first point to stand erect and the remainder of the comb dropping gracefully to the side without obscuring the eyes, deeply and evenly serrated having six distinct points.

Beak: Stout, point clear of the front of the comb, slightly curved.

Face: Smooth, skin fine in texture.

Eyes: Large, bright, and prominent. Round in appearance.

Wattles: Medium in length, thin, uniform in size, well-rounded, free from folds or wrinkles. Skin soft.

Ear-lobes: Medium, elongated oval, pendant, smooth and free from folds, equally matched in size and shape.

Crest: Medium, affixed at the forefront of the skull on both sides of the base of the comb and running length of comb. Rising well in front so as not to obstruct the eyes, with feathers narrow and falling off the back of the head to below the blade of the comb.

Head: Medium size, symmetrical, well balanced, and of fine quality.

Neck: Long and well covered with hackle feathers.

Back: Moderately broad at the shoulders, long, with an even slope to the tail. Feathers moderately broad and of sufficient length to carry well up to tail.

Tail: Moderately long, carried at an angle of thirty-five degrees above horizontal.
Main tail—feathers broad and overlapping.
Coverts—broad and abundant, extending well onto main tail.

Wings: Large and carried close to the body without dropping.

Breast: Prominent, well-rounded, carried forward and upright.

Body and Fluff: Body moderately long, sloping to the tail, broad in front tapering slightly to the rear. Keel is of good length, following the line of the back. Feathers moderately long and close to the body.
Fluff—medium in length, moderately full.

Legs and Toes: Legs moderately long, straight when viewed from the front. Thighs are medium length. Shanks round, strong, and free from feathers.
Toes—four, long, straight, and well-spread.

COLOR -- MALE

Comb, Face and Wattles: Bright Red.

Beak: Yellow.

Eyes: Reddish bay.

Ear-lobes: Enamel white.

Head: Plumage, cream and gray.

Crest: Cream and gray, some chestnut permissible.

Neck: Hackle—cream, sparsely barred with gray.
Shoulder—cream, barred with dark gray, some chestnut permissible.
Front of neck—same as breast.

Wings: Fronts and Bows—dark gray, faintly barred, some chestnut permissible.
Coverts—gray, barred, tipped in cream.
Primaries—dark gray, faintly barred, some white permissible.
Secondaries—dark gray, more clearly barred.

Back: Cream, barred with dark gray, some chestnut permissible.
Saddle—cream, barred with dark gray, edged in cream.

Tail: Main Tail—gray, evenly barred.
Sickle and Coverts—light gray, barred, some white feathers permissible.

Breast: Dark gray, evenly barred, well defined outline.

Body and Fluff: Silver-gray, indistinctly barred.

Legs and Toes: Yellow.

Under-Color of All Sections: Silver-gray.

COLOR -- FEMALE
Comb, Face, and Wattles: Bright red.

Beak: Yellow.

Eyes: Reddish bay.

Ear-lobes: Enamel white.

Head: Plumage, cream and gray.

Crest: Cream and gray, some chestnut permissible.
Neck: Hackle—cream, softly barred gray.
Front of neck—salmon.

Wings: Fronts, Bows and Coverts—silver-gray, faintly barred.
Primaries—gray, peppered.
Secondaries—gray, very faintly barred.

Back: Gray, softly barred.

Tail: Main Tail and Coverts—silver-gray, faintly barred.

Breast: Salmon, well defined in outline.

Body and Fluff: Silver-gray, indistinctly barred.

Legs and Toes: Yellow.

Under-Color of All Sections: Silver-gray.

I will look it over. I don't see anything out of the ordinary with my first look. How different is this from the British Standard?

Walt

We basically just dissected the British Standard prose style, and put all of the descriptions under APA style ordered headings. We did change a few words to reflect our language, such as "Bay" instead of "red-orange".

Back
Top Bottom