Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Well folks, I pulled the trigger. I have entered three CCL cockerels and two CCL pullets in the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association show scheduled for November 23. I finished my updated NPIP testing yesterday, as well ( I am a certified tester.). I sent the Draft Revision 2 SOP that KPenley sent me with my registration materials. Many thanks to Kestlyn!

In addition, I will be showing some blue wheaten, wheaten, and black ameraucanas and a euskal oiloa (marrduna basque) cockerel. This is my first time ever showing so this will be a new experience.

On the cream legbar front, I know that APA will require a major showing with many breeders but I was wondering if the club should compile a history of shows entered and results as part of making the case for broad based support in the US? Your thoughts?

Well folks, I pulled the trigger. I have entered three CCL cockerels and two CCL pullets in the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association show scheduled for November 23. I finished my updated NPIP testing yesterday, as well ( I am a certified tester.). I sent the Draft Revision 2 SOP that KPenley sent me with my registration materials. Many thanks to Kestlyn!

In addition, I will be showing some blue wheaten, wheaten, and black ameraucanas and a euskal oiloa (marrduna basque) cockerel. This is my first time ever showing so this will be a new experience.

On the cream legbar front, I know that APA will require a major showing with many breeders but I was wondering if the club should compile a history of shows entered and results as part of making the case for broad based support in the US? Your thoughts?
Hey -- good luck AND good for you!!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

YES ! Definitely the Cream Legbar Club should compile a list of where ever they are shown. You will have so much information to share with the group after your experience.... ever detail - blow-by-blow. Want to hear it all -- and pictures too. November 23 huh? Fabulous.

Can you come over here and test my flock for NPIP. LOL...... I guess it would be quite the commute. CONGRATULATIONS on that tester certification. Way to go!

thumbsup.gif

Good luck hope to hear what happens. I have never shown but may try once I have some birds.

...I was wondering if the club should compile a history of shows entered and results as part of making the case for broad based support in the US? Your thoughts?

This summer I found the forms the Marans Club used for this. Any show that had multiple exhibitors with birds in all four categories (cock, cockerel, hen pullet) were requested to have the judge sign their club form and send it to the chairman of their club's show committee. I need to revisit this and get forms available to people that are showing CLB's. I doubt we have had any shows that meet that criterion yet, but am sure we will in the next year.

Hi GaryDean and everybody,
That brings up something I was asking ChicKat about this evening.. What are the 'designated' ages for a cock, cockerel, hen & pullet to show?
In my copy of the SOP there are some definitions which may help:

Cock - a male fowl one year old or more
Cockerel - a male less than one year old
Hen - any domestic female fowl one year old or more.
Pullet - a female less than one year old

Someplace, I thought the discussion weighed in that the pullet probably should be POL or older so most likely you would want a pullet to be between 6-months and 1-year old for a show. HTH

Here is a cool blog post about how to hard cook fresh eggs and still be able to peel them.

http://www.gardenbetty.com/2012/10/...t-hard-boiled-egg-even-with-a-farm-fresh-egg/

The author shows the eggshells after she successfully peeled using this method. The EEs egg in the photo shows a blue egg with a brown bloom hence a green egg. Our bird's greens (or blue-greens if you wish) do not have a brown bloom (or at least mine don't. The interior and exterior egg shell color are identical.) There is something in certain araucana (and hence, I would suspect blue layers in general) that distributes brown throughout the entire calcium carbonate of the egg shell.

Tadkins wrote a great paper on this -- here is the BYC link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/830629/crested-cream-legbar-genotype-vs-phenotype/20 It is in the plumage forum - first link in post 27 I believe. Thanks again Tim.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom