Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

. So... he was the Club President of the group that submitted the breed for acceptance although we would have been in his early 70's at the time so I don't know what level of involvement he had in the process.
Don't write off professors in their 70's
old.gif

and I wonder then if the previously quoted statements about adding a crest to distinguish cream from silver was really a statement about the cock--hard to tell cream from silver in the cock, but it it would be easier in the female as she appropriatel
Up to about 12 weeks or even more -- the CL male probably is pretty identical to a silver legbar male...and it would be only the crest that would distinguish them. Since part of Punnetts creation of the autosexing breeds was to avoid spending scarce feed on raising cockerels, it could be that at 12-weeks the cockerels were harvested.

Because Punnett was a geneticist - when he says blue - he is really talking about the O/O genetics as opposed to o/o -- so to get any of the colors blue, green or olive, the hen would have to have O - genetics. We non-geneticists were confused because - we thought blue meant --- well - blue....

th.gif
Just for kicks, would you say "robin's egg blue" is green or blue? Or green-blue? I always thought it was sky-blue, but the last time I picked up a shell fragment I was surprised that it appeared green to me. A green tinted more towards blue than yellow, but to my eyes green. Apropos of nothing; just wondering.

Just for kicks, would you say "robin's egg blue" is green or blue? Or green-blue? I always thought it was sky-blue, but the last time I picked up a shell fragment I was surprised that it appeared green to me. A green tinted more towards blue than yellow, but to my eyes green. Apropos of nothing; just wondering.

I'm going to have to wait until spring to say but I have the feeling its going to vary by bird and that birds diet!.. Maybe I need to stop feeding my chickens all that pumpkin!

At the time the Cream Legbar was accepted as a breed, I believe Punnett was the President of the Auto-sexing Poultry Association of Great Britain. The reference is here if anyone wants to look this up to confirm. That was the "club" that submitted the Cambar, Gold Legbar, Silver Legbar, Cream Legbar, etc. to the PCGB for breed acceptance. The Auto-sexing Poultry Association of Great Britian has since been dissolved. Currently the Rare Poultry Society is the Club that is currently responsible for the Cream Legbar in the UK. So... he was the Club President of the group that submitted the breed for acceptance although we would have been in his early 70's at the time so I don't know what level of involvement he had in the process.

I stand corrected. I can't find anything in that article about the Auto-sexing Poultry Association, but I'll look up references this week. It does note Punnett's involvement with the Genetical Society and the Journal of Genetics. Pease continued to write for the Journal long after Punnett stopped editing it, so perhaps I am confusing the two.

Turquoise?
big_smile.png

I stand corrected. I can't find anything in that article about the Auto-sexing Poultry Association, but I'll look up references this week. It does note Punnett's involvement with the Genetical Society and the Journal of Genetics. Pease continued to write for the Journal long after Punnett stopped editing it, so perhaps I am confusing the two.

I didn't sign up on the sight, so all I saw was the preview, but a contact in the UK listed that as their source stating Punnett was the "club president" when the SOP was accepted. I will have to track this down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom