Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Quote: Hi Niclandia,
I have a special laptop I use just for posting and using forums and it's skip terribly and erases parts of my sentences at times

What I intended to write got chopped - this is it below in a form. -

The breast of the hen is Autosomal pheomelanic and is not affected by Silver except when ap+/ap+ is present as it remains in reddish tones even when S is present

I'm not sure why anyone would think that the discussion we are having is somehow personal and upsetting? Initial consensus was achieved (and for those who were not part of it, it was no small task) and that how we have the draft. Yes, there will be a wider vote for the final SOP but I cannot imagine what it would be like to take a bird to the APA that does not match not only the genotype but also the phenotype of the variety of the Breed as it is in it's home state in such an integral way. My arguments are not simply theoretical, I do have some facts on my side.... just a few I admit as I am new to all of this. I have no problem with theory but I'm a believer in what I see and I know many of you have not seen a cream colored bird but denounce it all the same. I then have the same right to denounce what I do not believe in or like also... correct? I've been a supporter of the cream Colored Legbar, per the British SOP since 2011 so I feel no need to adhere to anyone's idea of what 'good' debate is and to persuade anyone to a goal I do not myself approve of. I'm sorry, I see nothing denigrating or dismissive about the discussion. Disagreement and an opposing opinion to what is being stated is simply that. For me there is no debate on certain aspects and one of them is the general color of the bird. I have a lot to learn and debate about other issues of Form and Feather. Disagree with me you may but I am entitled to do the same. I have a tendency to speak my mind and offer no apologies for that.

I enjoy breeding the birds and would hope that in the end all that endeavored regardless of cause would be happy no matter the outcome.

Onward.

ETA - ap should be stated as Aph for Autosomal Pheomelanin. Reeder made the change from Ap to Aph in his more recent writings.

Last edited:
I've been really impressed at how fair and respectful the tone has generally been (or seemed to me) especially with how much disagreement exists. That's a big part of why I'm personally still interested in doing my best to follow what's going on. Props to you all.

Perhaps the personal remark was addressing me since I have been hurt in the past at the disapproval and disgust over my work. My strict attention to following rules also offends at times...but in the end it will get us approved by the APA. And I do think that that is the end goal for all of us, or why on earth would anyone still be on this thread lol?

Don't worry all y'all. I'm fine
big_smile.png
and have actually come to enjoy the attempts to sway my resolve.

Quote:
While Autosomal red can affect the breast color on females, it will also affect the males plumage(Rich colored males) and Silver does affected but not nearly as much as it affects the Males plumage, what I find interesting is that Silver Duckwing Hens have such a rich colored Salmon breast while the Males are Clean Silver Duckwing(No redish/Orange shoulders), as you many encounter on Red enhanced birds(by autosmal red and/or Mahogany) like the Salmon Faverolle roosters(they look golden/Cream but are infact Silver) check this silver duckwing pullet... http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/7/74/74e28f02_IMGP4743.jpeg

Perhaps the personal remark was addressing me since I have been hurt in the past at the disapproval and disgust over my work. My strict attention to following rules also offends at times...but in the end it will get us approved by the APA. And I do think that that is the end goal for all of us, or why on earth would anyone still be on this thread lol?

Don't worry all y'all. I'm fine
big_smile.png
and have actually come to enjoy the attempts to sway my resolve.

Kestlyn,

I, for one, very much appreciate the work and efforts you have made. I also very much appreciated the updated information on the draft SOP that you provided to me prior to the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association show. It was invaluable!

Likewise, I have tried to research the UK SOP, legbars (all versions), and follow to the extent that I could the genetics discussions. Based on the information that I have read and was posted/linked here, I cannot say that I agree with the "lighter" version of cream legbars. I remain unconvinced that the "lighter version" is correct. I do look forward to more discussions, however energetic, as we move forward.

Tony

Hi Niclandia,
I have a special laptop I use just for posting and using forums and it's skip terribly and erases parts of my sentences at times
I had a similar problem with my laptop. I found that using a small wireless mouse and shutting off the touchpad helped. The downside is the mouse drains the battery faster so I have to keep it plugged in if I'm typing/browsing/reading alot.

I've been really impressed at how fair and respectful the tone has generally been (or seemed to me) especially with how much disagreement exists. That's a big part of why I'm personally still interested in doing my best to follow what's going on. Props to you all.

Yeah everyone here is real respectful of other peoples opinions. We try not to be like the ameraucana or blr Wyandottes thread.

Agreed I picked the Cream Legbars because people are more accepting of new people. I didn't like the amount of putting people down in some of the other breeds I was interested in.

My leg bands arrived and I started weighing pullets. I have no idea what I should hope for at 6 and 10 weeks. Does anyone have thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom