Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

I give up on taking pictures of males- pulled my most promising cockerel out to take wing pictures as requested last week and lost him this week to respiratory crap.  He's been quarantined in the house since I took pictures since I noticed his symptoms so hopefully the rest of the flock is fine, it's a nasty bug didn't respond to tetracycline in the water or Tylan injections.  Everytime I take pictures of a hopeful boy I lose him soon after.  :(
Aww so sorry to hear!

I give up on taking pictures of males- pulled my most promising cockerel out to take wing pictures as requested last week and lost him this week to respiratory crap. He's been quarantined in the house since I took pictures since I noticed his symptoms so hopefully the rest of the flock is fine, it's a nasty bug didn't respond to tetracycline in the water or Tylan injections. Everytime I take pictures of a hopeful boy I lose him soon after. :(
That is horrible! I have that same paranoia which is why I am so hesitant to cull anymore at this point.

Quote:
why not? they have all of the genes you need? e+/e+ B/B clean face, clean shanks, yellow skin, you would only be getting rid of a few genes while in the process.. of them is the brown egg shell genes

I give up on taking pictures of males- pulled my most promising cockerel out to take wing pictures as requested last week and lost him this week to respiratory crap. He's been quarantined in the house since I took pictures since I noticed his symptoms so hopefully the rest of the flock is fine, it's a nasty bug didn't respond to tetracycline in the water or Tylan injections. Everytime I take pictures of a hopeful boy I lose him soon after. :(
Sorry you lost your birds. I am kind of superstitious about that as well. My first flock was killed by weasels. I photographed them from day one.

Quote: I worry about what might be introduced by the Malines that were used to create the Bielefelders. So I am going to import some Malines soon so that I can study them up close. We don't want a giant, feather footed CCL.

For now, I will stick with my GFF line of CCLs, although I have thought about importing an unrelated line. Surely someone out there in the world has worked on a dual purpose CCL.

Quote:
genetics dont work that way, if you dont see feathered shanks on a breed after many generations that means the gene is not there, I just dont see feather shanks on the bielefelders I've see so far

Quote: I have not seen them either. However, feathered shanks have cropped up in the American Bresse. I don't think they are supposed to have them. My point is that I need to study the Malines (one of the breeds that make up the Bielefelders) before I would ever think of crossing it to a Legbar. But then again, I said that I intend to NOT create a hybrid but to breed using the GFF lines I already have. I may also import another unrelated CCL line.

Quote:
no, you dont have to do that, the Bielefelders are a different separate breed now, there is no need to study the founding parent line to understand the breed that resulted from... I was just suggesting to do an outcross because its use on a regular basis on other breeding projects to encrease size... but you can Also use the largest brown leghorns you can find, that would not be concider like a hybrid if its using its original parent line

Back
Top Bottom