Chicken Genetics outside of Breeds

MokiYoki

Songster
8 Years
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane, Australia
I'm looking for some in-depth help charting out what patternings are the result of what combination of genes.
For some extra context I'm using a slightly simplified system by grouping the MC1R alleles into 5 major groups based on the percentage of black pigment displayed when all other modifying genes are the wildtype. I've named these 5 major categories after their most prominently known phenotype per category.
I'm attempting to find or make 1 picture per possible combination of the...

E locus (E): Black ED, Birchen ER, Brown eb, Duckwing e+, Wheaten ew
Columbian locus (Co) : Columbian Co, non columbian co+
Darkbrown locus (Db) : DarkBrown Db, non darkbrown db+
Melanized locus (Ml): Melanized Ml, non melanized ml+
PatternGene locus (Pg): Patterned Pg, non patterned pg+

If you can, please fill me in on some known genetics missing from my chart found here: The Big Public Chicken Chart
You can offer critique or suggestions via comments on the chart itself or here.
To make it easier for everyone to know what set of genes you are talking about I recommend writing the genetics like so:
ew/ew,Co/Co,Db/Db,ml+/ml+,pg+/pg+
this combination is thought to be responsible for solid orange/brown varieties, commonly known as buff.

✅ If you know of any studies which can point me to breeds with known genetics that would be helpful.
✅ If you have pictures of rare breeds which have known and studied genetics that I can use for my chart that would be helpful.
✅ If you have pictures you can share of first generation known hybrids between pure breeds that are genetically known that would be very helpful.
✅ Do share research, studies, advanced university level books, and scientific data.
✅ Do use words like Dominant, Recessive, Genotype, Phenotype, Co-Dominant, Incomplete Dominant, Polygenetic, Epistasis, Quantitative, Linkage and so on.
✅ Do ask questions if making such a chart is something you are genuinely interested in making.
✅ Do share pictures of chickens that you think are a candidate for a known set of genes.

❌ Please do not post your random mix breed or off standard hatchery chickens. While they are very nice they aren't helping here.
❌ Please don't bother posting that I should look at the chicken calculator, read Chicken Colours by Sigrid van Dort, go to the-coop.org, ect. If it's entry level, I have seen it.
❌ Don't explain the basics of genetics to me. If you know how it works, that's great, but your demonstration of basic knowledge isn't needed here.
❌ Don't post here if you are going to treat people poorly for being incorrect. Let's remember we are all people and we are going to make mistakes while we learn.

The poster is looking for photos, which is not something I can provide.

And based on the first post, the person probably knows about as much as I do about chicken genetics (maybe more in some areas), and already uses the sources I might otherwise recommend:
❌ Please don't bother posting that I should look at the chicken calculator, read Chicken Colours by Sigrid van Dort, go to the-coop.org, ect. If it's entry level, I have seen it.
❌ Don't explain the basics of genetics to me. If you know how it works, that's great, but your demonstration of basic knowledge isn't needed here.

So this is probably not a place where I can be much help.

Back
Top Bottom