Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

That is the exact reason I am interested in the CCL. Feed conversion, lots of (blue) eggs and auto-sexing (I won't have to waste feed on cockerals that I know I am not going to keep).

If the CCL breed is changed to become a big bodied, food hogging bird I will go back to the colored leghorns. I just love those blue eggs though!.
But I am already seeing CCLs that are food hogs. My GFF CCLs eat more than all but 1 of the 12 breeds I have. So I think the food efficiency is not true, in my experience.

The only breed that eats more is the Bielefelder.

But I am already seeing CCLs that are food hogs.  My GFF CCLs eat more than all but 1 of the 12 breeds I have.  So I think the food efficiency is not true, in my experience.

The only breed that eats more is the Bielefelder.
Interesting. Mine eat way way less than my marans.

Yes, let's avoid the color guessing games.
I just thought it would be helpful for those of us deciding which way to go with breeding. I've said on the other thread that I prefer the look of my bigger hens, but they're not huge, just filled out.

Yes, let's avoid the color guessing games.
I just thought it would be helpful for those of us deciding which way to go with breeding. I've said on the other thread that I prefer the look of my bigger hens, but they're not huge, just filled out.
I actually think more focus should be on the size of the roosters and less on the hens. However, it seems that there is always a correlation between the size of the roos and the size of the hens. I don't want to see the hens as large as the Bielefelder hens, as they are a little too large and tend to push other hens out of their way leading to fights. But I do think that they should not be scrawny little things either.

I am well aware of other autosexing breeds. I already raise 12 different breeds, including Bielefelders. I don't breed for profit but instead to improve the breed itself. To your point about needing more breeders, I have already given away CCLs for free and will continue to do so to help spread CCLs. It's just that my focus on CCLs (as well as other breeders that don't visit this forum) is that with dual purpose birds rather than birds of just one trick. If you want a CCL that is just a layer, maybe the layer only version should be called "Crested Cream Legbar Hatchery Edition".

Sorry I did not mean to offend anyone by saying that they are not "real" breeders. What I meant to say is that in the real world outside of BYC forums, I have come across CCL breeders that are breeding them as dual purpose.

And btw, I have Toni-Marie Astin Cemanis. How about some free Cemani chicks in the Spring to join the dual-purpose CCL SOP?

Okay, I'm sorry, but there is no question you very much intend to offend. If you wanted to start a meaningless argument by tossing around hot button words you certainly went right for the throat. Unnecessary and inappropriate.

I don't want to see the hens as large as the Bielefelder hens, as they are a little too large and tend to push other hens out of their way leading to fights. But I do think that they should not be scrawny little things either.
Wouldn't the hens size need to be 'scaled' to the size increase of the rooster? A 9 - 10 lb rooster on a 4 - 5 (or 6) lb hen sounds like a bummer for the hen. He could break her, or seriously hurt her, couldn't he?

Back
Top Bottom