Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Hi Steen

One example of a Standard written wrongly was pointed out to me by Sigrid van Dort. She said that in the Dutch standard a barred (or was it cuckoo or crele) hen wasn't supposed to have barring on the breast...which is just kind of plain wrong.
Sigrid is a dear friend of mine.. and she meant Crele Dutch and Barring Hardly shows any visible effect on the females salmon Breast

Nicalandia that is the person who wants to write a dual purpose cream legbar SOP.

And your point is an interesting one steen: How is any change from the UK standard different from DCchickens proposing the change the SOP to dual purpose?

I was referring to ChicKats post and my idea of how that might have happened.I think ChicKat and nicalandia has me covered on this one. They know the examples not me. my thought is if someone changed the weight to be dual purpose which would affect some form or could affect form that would make it different than what we're importing and would make it hard for people to meet the sop. people going out on their own for their own desires who got an sop passed is why maybe some breeds are hard to meet their s.o.p.

Last edited:
Quote: Here is a picture of my Rooster from Rinda.

As a hatchling,

At about 7 weeks His crest here is about the same size as the female chicks crests at the same age. But the crests don't grow proportionately.

And how he looks today
I purposely took this shot so you can see his small crest tucked up under his comb and from a distance it barely shows at all.

This picture is from my nicely colored 2013 GFF cockerel with a huge crest and and twisty comb. Surely there must be something in between?

Hope this helps!

Here is a picture of my Rooster from Rinda.

As a hatchling,

At about 7 weeks His crest here is about the same size as the female chicks crests at the same age. But the crests don't grow proportionately.

And how he looks today
I purposely took this shot so you can see his small crest tucked up under his comb and from a distance it barely shows at all.

This picture is from my nicely colored 2013 GFF cockerel with a huge crest and and twisty comb. Surely there must be something in between?

Hope this helps!
that helps alot... I think you have to work with what youve got... use the rooster with a large creasted hens and produce middle sized creast progeny and the male with the largest creast with a female with small creast and produce the same medium sized creast...

that helps alot... I think you have to work with what youve got... use the rooster with a large creasted hens and produce middle sized creast progeny and the male with the largest creast with a female with small creast and produce the same medium sized creast...
Thank you! That is exactly what I plan to do. I have been wondering about using my GFF cockerel at all. I plan to breed him to the sister of the other rooster, in hopes of correcting the twisty comb. And I have a 2013 GFF pullet (that has cream hackles) with a huge crest that I will breed to the other cockerel in hopes that he has a recessive cream.

Pretty roosters flaming chicken!

My thoughts are that the Standard probably, for practical purposes needs to align closely with what is written now, and be 'tweaked' as it was to recognize that the females have shafting, and that is a characteristic of the breed so for Pete's sake don't subtract points for that. In any other places where we discover there is something omitted that belongs in the standard it should be incorporated.

Then, like the example of your two roosters, breeders will need to know and to share the information with each other that a very large rooster-crest is probably going to accompany a more wrinkled or twisted comb - especially if the comb is big. Question arises - should that be written into the standard? I think in some ways the standard cannot cover everything.

So caution should be applied as to how large the female crest goes. As I look at the sale page for Greenfire Farms, I see the original hen's crest covers an area that is equivalent to about 20% of the size of her entire head/face - and that is the look I am going for. Newer hens seem to have a crest that when the area/size is compared to the head/face is a much bigger percentage.

The really good thing IMO is that this conversation is happening and these structural issues that affect differing parts of the chicken are being brought to light.

Back
Top Bottom