Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

So for me 24 weeks will be Aug 18th. That is if chickens lay eggs that time off year. I am in South Florida, not sure it the weather makes a difference. I have a lot to learn.

Jeff

I'm right there with you Jeff. I just started my small flock last April. But, I learn things as I go, I do a lot of reading, and this site has been a great resource and sounding board for me. Waiting for your first egg is exciting and can drive you nuts. I remember when my RIR laid her first egg ( which was my first egg) I was so excited, then waiting for the other two was driving me crazy. It took almost a month before all 3 were finally laying. Now I am doing it again with my Legbars. Checked today and no eggs. So back to the waiting game.

No, it is actually a very pretty baby blue. I don't know why it looks so green in the photo. Maybe a cast from my dark wood table.
many times color is automatically altered in our new digital world. It can happen with the digital camera, phone or your computer monitor. That is another reason to be careful about giving opinions about chicken color when you are judging it on a digital device. Anyone who works with digital color can explain this. When I was still working we would re calibrate the monitors every morning with very expensive software so that we could make reasonable decisions about color. It was produced by Pantone.

Walt

Quote:
Funny how something as simple as an egg can make us excited. I hear RIR lay a lot of eggs. Has this been the case for you? I have 3 RIR and 3 Mottled Java. Funny you mentioned reading. I just picked up "Keeping Chickens in Your Garden" by Fred Hams. I highly recommend it. Full of information with over 400 beautiful photographs.

Jeff

many times color is automatically altered in our new digital world. It can happen with the digital camera, phone or your computer monitor. That is another reason to be careful about giving opinions about chicken color when you are judging it on a digital device. Anyone who works with digital color can explain this. When I was still working we would re calibrate the monitors every morning with very expensive software so that we could make reasonable decisions about color. It was produced by Pantone.

Walt

I did take the picture with my phone, which does take nice pics, but the egg did look pretty green in the picture on the computer. So you are correct, it is one of the devices (either phone or computer) that changed the color. Someone else recommended using a white background next time. I am going to try that and see if it makes a difference.

Funny how something as simple as an egg can make us excited. I hear RIR lay a lot of eggs. Has this been the case for you? I have 3 RIR and 3 Mottled Java. Funny you mentioned reading. I just picked up "Keeping Chickens in Your Garden" by Fred Hams. I highly recommend it. Full of information with over 400 beautiful photographs.

Jeff

I would have to say she is a pretty good layer. I have to start a laying journal, so I can keep track of eggs laid for the year. And my husband says if I'm not spending time with the chickens, I am reading about chickens. He is feeling a little neglected haha. I just want to educate myself because I am really enjoying this new chapter in my life and want to do it right!

Quote:

I like the idea of an egg laying journal. I am going to implement that when the time comes.
smile.png

Jeff

I did take the picture with my phone, which does take nice pics, but the egg did look pretty green in the picture on the computer. So you are correct, it is one of the devices (either phone or computer) that changed the color. Someone else recommended using a white background next time. I am going to try that and see if it makes a difference.
more than likely it was the phone. Even though they take pleasing pictures the colors are not always correct. This is true of dedicated digital cameras as well. Digital color with most equipment is not usually color correct. It is the nature of digital color.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom